Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents 'helping' to be nosy

I have a parent who has asked to come and help. She is very nosy and I do not like the thought of her watching my teach. She has said she wants to see how her son learns and what he's doing as he always tells her he's done nothing.

What jobs could I have her doing in the corridor while i do the whole class input?

So far I've got: sharpening pencils or sorting reading books. But that would take her all of five minutes as neither of these jobs need doing and then I'd be stuck again. Parents are not allowed to photocopy so can't have her doing that and I haven't got any cutting out etc that needs doing.

Any suggestions? Please help as I can't stop worrying about her coming in and it's stressing me out!

What long term resources can you think of? We ate a relatively new school so had a lot of funding recently poured in!

Guest LornaW

First I would reassure her that children often say 'nothing' when asked what they did in school and then make sure she sees her child's learning journal often so she can see just what is happening in his learning. Finally I would let her see me teach she will be amazed and in awe whereas if all she does is jobs outside the room she will never be satisfied. At CI time she could be in the reading corner and read to children or outside playing games or in the construction corner building!

Be open don't be shy she will soon see how hard you work and stop coming in!

LornaW

What year group are you teaching? Does the parent need to be outside of the class or can they be occupied in class? We've always found it better to have parents help when there are lots of activities going on as they are so immersed in helping out that that there is not the pressure of feeling like they're watching you. Parents running craft, cooking or challenge tables has worked well for us (and after supporting 4 children doing cooking most parents come to realise how amazing the learning experience their child is getting is, as there is so much going on!!). Failing that, laminating, making signs and labels on computers for displays/corridors, printing off ready made resources like next role-play, walking the school with staple gun and pot of drawing pins to check all displays are tidy and pinning up those bits of border that always come away, tidying shared resource cupboards, tidying library area. Or you could flip it....invite parent in to ask what skills they can bring to the children's learning experience (a passion for drawing/drama/maths?) then factor it in to the planning, giving them pointers on what the task is, what you hope the children will achieve, feedback on outcomes and did they see a potential for next steps. The parent might run a mile at this as they might feel like they are being watched....but if not then you have found yourselves a good volunteer and it could be the start of something!

First post...sorry I'm a waffler! Hope you think of something....there's nothing worse than feeling like someone wants to spy on you...but most people do genuinely want to help out.

And totally agree with LornaW...once people see you teach they usually are amazed at all the skills you apply, and are in awe of seeing many children mesmerised by your ace teaching and feedback that they could never do your job!! Good luck tasha ;-)

Our school tries to place parent volunteers in classes other than the one their child's in. It seems to be more productive for everyone. If they genuinely want to help they're happy to be in any class!

• Like 1

When I saw the thread title I thought this parent was trying to find out information about other people's children.

If she really does just want to see and be involved in her son's daily learning environment isn't that a good thing? The more she knows about the routines and the terminology you use the more she will be able to consolidate and support his learning at home.

I am sure there is nothing about your teaching style that you wouldn't want this lady to observe and someone this motivated to be involved could be a great help in a busy classroom.

• Like 1

Giving her paint pots to wash or pencils to sharp is a great way to encourage her to stop volunteering. Who knows what skills this parent might have that you could harness for the benefit of the learning and development of all the children in your class?

This is a great opportunity to show her not only what a great teacher you are, but also the wide range of teaching and learning activities that are on offer each day, and just how much her son is learning and developing.

Relax, show her what you're made of and see what skills she can bring to the table - it could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship! ;)

• Like 2

I would make sure I got across the importance of confidentiality (maybe you have a confidentiality form they could sign, I think people take things more seriously if they've actually signed up to something) there is often information around, even as innocent as how children are grouped could get out to other parents and cause upset and perhaps a parent helper would have more time to view these than a parent who comes in just for a chat with you, especially if nosey anyway.

I volunteer in a reception class when I go in the teacher will ask me to do various things such as

A specific game with certain children

'Man' the painting station

Supervise outside

Prepare snack

Photocopying

Washing paint pots / snack cups

Prepare learning journey books (new starters)

Downloading and cutting out photos

Checking jigsaws have correct amount of pieces if they've been played with (where do them pieces go?!)

As a volunteer I don't expect to be given a job with the children it is whatever needs doing to help the smooth running of the class

i have to admit yellowdaisies that you could be describing me! :blink: I hope i was always really helpful in the classroom and it certainly helped me to help my children as things have changed a lot since i was at school.

As a professional i once discovered that one of my parents was the most fantastic graphic artist (no one knew!) she was a very shy. quiet Mum who was quite difficult to work with until we discovered her talent!

If she is being a bit of a pain i would blind her with science ...start quoting theorists and explain what the learning is...she'll go quiet quickly!!! ;)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)