Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

HV has called a meeting................

to discuss the needs of a child that I look after. There will be the HV, SLT, SENCO, nursery nurse, parents and me (childminder).

I pushed for this child to be seen and now a meeting is being held to discuss whether he needs to be seen by a paediatrician. I think he has a lot of signs and symptoms of an ASD.

Im actually feeling very side lined as I have only been invited to this meeting by the childs parents. The HV has not even spoken to me, who has been looking after this child 10hrs a day for 2years! She seems far more concerned with the views of the nursery staff - he does his 15hrs there and has only been there 4wks!

Think I just needed a bit of a moan really as, yet again, I feel undervalued as a child minder :(

Also, I have never attended one of these meetings before so does anyone have any advice they can give me on what I need to take with me and what will happen?

Thank you in advance

No advice but I can understand why you're feeling sidelined. Hopefully during the meeting it will become apparent to the HV and others at the meeting that you have an important role in this child's life and that your professional input should be sought.

I can see why you feel sidelined and undervalued... These meetings are dependant on someone knowing who the child had contact with and been in the care of... i was not invited once from a preschool, because no one thought about it. (Apart from parent who told me and actually asked me to go as her support as she was feeling in need of someone who knew her and her child more than all the others attending!)

I would like to suggest that you make a brief written summary of your concerns, how the child is developing, any observations you have made to support this,

Also as an introduction have things like childs name doB etc and include how long you have been looking after he child, how many hours a week etc.. to show that you are a professional, do know what you are doing and have looked after the child for longer hours than any other professional there..

• Like 3

Thanks everyone

I have spoken to nursery when I collected him today. They said that the meeting is for senco, HV, nursery and parent to assess child. I believe Im not invited. They said that SLT wont be attending either even though the child has delayed speech and language!

I am going to speak to mum tonight to see if she can get HV to call me as I really dont know what is going on. HV hasnt even contacted me at all regarding this childs development.

On one hand I feel like saying 'sod it' and let them all get on with it, but on the other hand I dont want to let this child slip through the net and not get the help he needs.

Should I just turn up to the meeting?

Well I completely understand why you feel frustrated and sidelined :( where is the meeting being held?

Some great advice from Inge.......with regard to information that you have to hand at the meeting......

I'm not surprised that the SALT is not going to be involved yet - that would be a bit 'full on' for the parents to have quite so many 'experts' at the initial meeting - referrals for SALT can be made via Nursery or HV after meeting.

Good luck with it all - remember that is you who have pushed for this to happen and of course you should be there - especially in light of the fact that he has only been at nursery for four weeks.

Just as a little aside - I own and manage a pre-school and I get to work with some fantastic childminders - I would never, ever dream of not working in partnership with these ladies.

Don't forget to let us know what happens.......

• Like 2

Well joannelouise can i just say this would NOT happen in my setting, all people who are involved in this childs care should be involved. This is a TAC meeting (team around the child)....It should include anyone who is involved with his care, including salt and any other health professionals. (i have had TAC meetings with 15 support personell before!!!!). His needs can only be assessed effectively if all areas of his care are taken into account...you are his main carer (apart from parents). If the parents want you to be there then they just need to say you are coming...it is their meeting! (can you tell i feel really strongly about this :rolleyes: )

and just remember...if people had paid attention to Baby P's childminder he might still be with us....she was sidelined by others and look where that led to :(

At an initial meeting?

I can completely understand why this might be necessary at a later stage........

I had a ssumed from the original post that salt were already involved.....if they have done an assessment then yes i do feel they should be included but reading it back if they haven't seen this little one already then no need to invite as they will have no information. (and the case i quoted was known from birth...so although at the first tac meeting these people all come together they had been involved previously)....just to confirm when i said this would not happen i was talking about joannelouise not being invited.

Hope that makes sense :blink:

Im just wondering why this meeting is happening now? Have the parents raised concerns before or is the nursery flaging things up?

I had a ssumed from the original post that salt were already involved.....if they have done an assessment then yes i do feel they should be included but reading it back if they haven't seen this little one already then no need to invite as they will have no information. (and the case i quoted was known from birth...so although at the first tac meeting these people all come together they had been involved previously)....just to confirm when i said this would not happen i was talking about joannelouise not being invited.

Hope that makes sense :blink:

Im just wondering why this meeting is happening now? Have the parents raised concerns before or is the nursery flaging things up?

That makes sense! :1b

• Like 1

They said that the meeting is for senco, HV, nursery and parent to assess child. I believe Im not invited.

I find it hard to understand why these people are meeting to decide whether a referral should be made to a paediatrician. If the parents want a referral because they have concerns then a referral should be made. None of the people you have named are qualified to decide whether a child is showing signs of ASD. They could easily make the decision not to refer based on common myths about what children with ASD do or don't do.

Carers and educators are often asked to contribute to the assessment process once it is under way to establish whether relevant behaviours are displayed in different areas of a child's life. That doesn't mean they should be making decisions like this. They are asked to describe children's difficulties and qualified paeds or psychologists decide what is relevant.

In my opinion the meeting is, at best, a pointless exercise in terms of diagnosis and the parent would be better approaching their GP to ask for a paed referral. It may be useful in terms of deciding how best to support the child but, in that case, you should quite obviously be included.

If the parent wants you at the meeting I would suggest that they would need a very good reason to refuse. If they make it very difficult, the parent has every right to take a non-participant note taker so you could volunteer for this role.

I would be very happy to PM you details of an excellent forum for parents of children who have or may have ASD. They would be able to offer these parents lots of advice and support. It was a life saver for me through the diagnostic process for my daughters.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised that the SALT is not going to be involved yet - that would be a bit 'full on' for the parents to have quite so many 'experts' at the initial meeting - referrals for SALT can be made via Nursery or HV after meeting.

Sorry Sunnyday, I forgot to say that he has been seeing SALT for 18months after I referred him to them as his speech was non existent at that time. During this time he has been discharged twice but I kept sending him back. It was only at his last appointment, when I sent parents with a letter outlining my concerns, that they began to take notice. I had also sent him to his HV twice who said he was fine. It was only after SALT spoke to HV that the ball started rolling.

During this time he has been discharged twice but I kept sending him back. It was only at his last appointment, when I sent parents with a letter outlining my concerns, that they began to take notice. I had also sent him to his HV twice who said he was fine. It was only after SALT spoke to HV that the ball started rolling.

It sounds like this little boy has quite an advocate in you. Keep fighting for him as long as you have concerns. Too many children get missed because their parents are fobbed off by overstretched services.
  • Like 2

Sorry Sunnyday, I forgot to say that he has been seeing SALT for 18months after I referred him to them as his speech was non existent at that time. During this time he has been discharged twice but I kept sending him back. It was only at his last appointment, when I sent parents with a letter outlining my concerns, that they began to take notice. I had also sent him to his HV twice who said he was fine. It was only after SALT spoke to HV that the ball started rolling.

As Upsy has already said what a lucky little boy to have you 'in his corner' - keep pushing! :1b

• Like 1

It doesn't surprise me that you are being excluded, another example of EYFS practices that are outside schools being undervalued. If it was me, I would be asking the parent if they would like me to come and support them, and if so advise them to just inform the school that as you are his main carer after the parent that she would like you to be present at all meetings involving the child (especially as it was you that made the initial referral?)
I would also be contacting my Early years advisor as they are working closely with schools and health visitors at the moment, and inform them of the situation and maybe its something they can bring up at their meetings. Its an uphill struggle to get some professionals to acknowledge the work of others sometimes, but bringing it to their attention might help for future cases.

You're in good company here to have a vent in any case :1b

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Mum rang HV to see why myself and SALT were not invited to meetings. HV said to mum, 'you are only coming because you insisted on doing'. She was very off hand and rude. Mum is now insisting on going so she can see what they are discussing.

Also only found out then that SENCO had only just been informed - I thought that the HV would have done this weeks ago!

In the meantime, his behavour is deteriorating. Its half term so he is with me full time this week. He has been quite agressive and violent towards the others in my care - especially my daughter. I have a baby starting in a few weeks and Im worried about her safety but I have put off taking any more children on so far because of his behavour. I cant financially afford to not take on any more children :(

Oh my goodness, it all sounds a mess, doesn't it. What are they trying to achieve, I wonder? It sounds as if her relationship with the HV is not one that will help the situation at all - can she get another HV?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not enough parents make official complaints about their HV, they are too vulnerable after the birth, and then just assume they are all like that, or that theres nothing that can be done. Just because they qualified at the time doesn't mean they know it all or what's best. There are some really awful HVs with poor communication skills, little or no people skills and some have never even had children of their own. Their advice and oppinions are no more valid than any other professional around the child, so if mum isn't happy, maybe a visit to the local childrens centre to find more support and advice might help?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)