Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Occupancy

Hi All,

I know that in theory this should be the simpliest thing to work out, but I am really struggling with organising my occupancy. I have a spreadsheet based upon the exact hours that each child does - but I can't see wood for trees with it!!

Any advice would be helpful

• 2 months later...

Taffygirl, I too am thinking of revamping the way I organise the occupancy for our pre-school. At the moment I have an excel spreadsheet with every child's name, D.O.B, allocated sessions, total hours and divide this into 2,3 and 4 year olds. I then have formulas at the end to calculate the total children per session and the staff needed for that amount of children. Its such an old spreadsheet that I inherited off the last manager so I would be intrigued to see how other settings manage their occupancy as this can be quite time consuming.

I use what I have always called a breakdown of the children's sessions to ensure that I do not go over ratios and for funding/budgeting purposes. My daily register could not possibly hold all of this information. Its useful for me to be able to see at a glance if I have sessions available when parents come to do welcome visits etc. It also helps me to make contact with children I am expecting in that day. It also automatically changes children's ages when their birthdays have passed so I know to move them up to a 3 or 4 year old for ratio purposes.

Maybe my register is a bit too basic and that's where the confusion is coming from. I don't know where I would be without the breakdown of children's sessions though. Particularly coming up to our new intake in September as I can see at a glance exactly what sessions I can offer new families.

If you want all singing and dancing I found this when working things out last summer before I opened my own preschool (didn't actually use, but it might suit)

Can't remember where I found it so can't credit the author

Can you give a bit of an explanation about completion?

Guest SamG

I've managed to find a filled in one from when we were setting up.

You enter the number of children you are registered for and the number of hours you are open on the front page.

On the session calculator page you enter how many children are attending each day and how many hours they do and it then works out how many hours you have used and your hourly occupancy for M-F for each month.

You can also use it to work out you predicted income for each month.