Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'Puddle Inspector'

I hoped that would get you to read this! :P

I am looking for a proforma that I could use with my little 'building inspector'; he had lined up a row of cones in front of a make-believe puddle "So the children don't fall in and get themselves soaking wet". I drew a puddle and asked if he could draw a puddle too ... "No, 'cause I'm the building 'spector ... I 'spect the work ... everyone, I want you to paint! I'm the building 'spector and puddle 'spector". We found a clipboard and paper but now I want to provide the little 'puddle 'spector' with a proforma to represent one which might be used by a building inspector.

Not having any experience of buildings being inspected, I wondered if there is anything suitable that others have used or if anyone has any suggestions of what I might include. I have thought about a simple map of the play area and perhaps some tick boxes to provide an opportunity to 'record using marks he can interpret/explain'

Any thoughts, ideas or downloads would be very much appreciated! :rolleyes:

Whoops! Why have I put this in the 'profiles' section?! :huh: Perhaps some kind person would put it where it should be? :D

I dont care what section you've put it in, its fab!! xD

Could you do a chart with overall size of puddle, depth, circumference, clarity, is there anything in it. Compare to other puddles. How could you move a puddle to somewhere else less risky. What sort of ground does a puddle need? A section for who signed the inspection, date etc.

I'd love to come and watch him 'spect :D ::1a

• Like 1

I love it! He could do a risk assessment. Who would be at risk, what might happen, what the risk is, how 'bad' (severe) the risk is, what could be done to make it better. Or a daily checklist of puddles? How many, how big, etc?

Take some photos of the area and compare weekly or so, map out on a grid where they occur. Use google to get a birds eye view. Have a weather station so you can see how much rain you have and match it to how many puddles it creates. Draw a line around the puddle and see if it changes during the day. :1b

My little building foreman would get on so well with him! I tried loads of things to get him mark making to no avail. He did show great ingenuity in getting other children to write labels for his models, etc, but no amount of cajoling and enhancing of provision was going to make him put pencil to paper. What he did was "building - just building, cos I know what its needs to look like - I can see it in my head"! He would mark make in adult led activities if he really saw no other way out but these tended to be spidery pencil marks which were very unfocused.

Then last week without prompting he suddenly got some paper and pencils and started to draw me a map. The map turned into a building plan and then a set of illustrations for his friend's instructions on how to turn yourself into a chipmunk (long story!). This kind of activity continued daily and today he took his News book (adult led activity) and wrote independently and with real letters and phonic awareness. His picture was totally incidental to what he was doing. I was so pleased and so was his mum, but what it really showed me was the power of letting children come to things in their own time, even (or do I mean especially) in reception.

I thought it was an over zealous ofsted inspector!

I can understand that - wasn't there a post on here once about and Ofsted inspector asking a childminder to make sure all puddles were milton'd before children could play in them :blink:

• Like 1

I can understand that - wasn't there a post on here once about and Ofsted inspector asking a childminder to make sure all puddles were milton'd before children could play in them :blink:

I knew there was something that made me think of ofsted :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Oh yes I remember that! :o :blink: xD

I wish this post had been on here a few months ago - we have had such a lot of rain this year and so many huge puddles and I'd completely exhausted all my usual puddle play ideas - this is just great!! Now its a win-win for me with whatever the weather does - either it will be sunny and dry for a lovely change or I'll have great puddle plans! Thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)