Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making sure information is shared

Can I ask how larger settings make sure that all staff are aware of any issues eg health, a child might have, especially when there are quite a few changes of staffing during a week?

We have very little wall space available for display (lots of windows) but feel that things need to be as obvious as possible so staff are reminded all the time.

Can't really help I'm afraid, but I would comment that Ofsted commented very negatively on the fact we had our 'allergies' list on display! It was inside the setting in the snack area......... I told her I would rather EVERYONE knew rather than risk an incident- she didn't mention it again and it was not recorded on the report thought :huh: .

x

• Like 1

even in smaller settings it can be a problem - staff meeting - allergies photo and list available for all and now thinking back to when I worked in residential care we sused to fill out a diary at end of each shift for handover - listing events , incidents and even bowel movements !! may introduce this minus the bowel movements as sometimes just being told is not always enough, maybe a seperate diary for all staff to reference too -

Can't really help I'm afraid, but I would comment that Ofsted commented very negatively on the fact we had our 'allergies' list on display! It was inside the setting in the snack area......... I told her I would rather EVERYONE knew rather than risk an incident- she didn't mention it again and it was not recorded on the report thought :huh: .

x

Well she/he would find exactly the same in my setting..........goodness me - it's there for the children's safety

• Like 2

me too we use a wipe board with allergies on in the hall kitchen

another by the door which holds general info on it but wold include any changes on it medically for that day or the following if my dep is not in

Don't you think that parents with a child with a severe allergy would rather that everybody knew about it? I would think that if it was one of my children I would tell everyone who would listen instead of wanting my privacy to be protected. I don't believe that any of you are displaying information that parents would consider confidential.

Don't you think that parents with a child with a severe allergy would rather that everybody knew about it? I would think that if it was one of my children I would tell everyone who would listen instead of wanting my privacy to be protected. I don't believe that any of you are displaying information that parents would consider confidential.

She was an out'n'out twit anyway. I should have put in a complaint, she said quite a few other 'hmmm' statements- but I was in a bolshy mood that day so was able to fight our case. :1b

xx

• Like 4

Melba

I feel your pain.

I consider us a small setting but all my staff are part time, so there are many changes during the week. I used to start each session by holding a message passing on 5 mins. But once the message has been said two or three times you think everyone knows. But there is always someone who does not get the message.

Next I tried a message book where I wrote everything down that I told staff at the 5 mins before session started, but I did sometimes miss things off, so again the message did not get to everyone.

I produce a staff newsletter where I list new allergies amongst other items that staff need to be aware of, this works quite well.

Now I have a whiteboard in my new "staffroom" where messages are listed. This at the moment is working especially using different colloured pens.

I do display a list of children and their allergies in all rooms, so this is covered. We "risk assessed" the issue of displaying children's names and medical conditions but felt that it was a higher risk by not displaying this information. We do ofcourse ask parents permission to display their child's information.

But the best way I have found is to make the Key Person responsible for passing on messages about their Key Child and making them aware that all staff know really works!

Good Luck

hi we have details of severe allergies (needing epi-pens, urgent medication) and how they appear/should be dealt with on the cupboard which is visible for all staff.

our daily register shows details of all allergies - staff can access these at any time and the register is kept at the table during snack time for reference by adult at the table.

Guest sn0wdr0p

Our daily register also highlights those children with medical conditions, allergies etc by putting an asterix beside the name. Staff setting up each morning tranfer that info onto a whiteboard in the kitchen which is checked before very snack and meal. No names are put on it so if the staff member prepping the food does not know who it applies to it is their responsibility to go and find out. They also have to sign to say they have checked the board.

However, just as for everyone else communication is a problem. I try to ensure that I go round everyone but it is easy to miss staff and they can forget what they have been told as well and always pass on info when a new child registers. I don't want to write it down incase the info is accidently left out for others to read so what I have is a sheet which lists who can't have photos taken, safeguarding concerns (usually surrounding custody battles and who can/cannot pick up a child), allergies, medical conditions, behavioural issues etc. All staff have to read through the sheet to refresh their memory and they sit in my office to read it so ensuring privacy and confidentiality. To ensure this is done on a regular basis I do it before each supervision meeting (each half term) and this also ensures staff have the opportunity to have queries addressed there and then.

The list is then locked away in my filing cabinet and updated whenever necessary.

yes agree making sure all staff, some in different days and sharing information is a real problem. We have a folder which we use to share information with staff, they sign and date when they have read. I also put on the staff noticeboard (in the kitchen so away from parents) when i have added something new in the information sharing folder, to remind staff to look at it! we also have wipeboards in each room to share if someone different is picking up a child or remind to give medicine at lunch time etc.