Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Language related to money

Hello,

I'm looking at "Beginning to use everyday language related to money." DM 40-60 months in Shape, space and measures next week. What do you think this covers? I'm struggling to word a learning intention and am getting a little worried that I'm slipping into the kind of expectations I'd have for my Y1 children (who I don't have this year!).

I've looked through the exemplification material for SSM and through the positive relationships and enabling environments bits of Development Matters but don't feel any wiser.

I know that most of my children are pretty good on naming coins although they could all benefit from reinforcement and gaining security in it.

Thank you.

The great pet sale is a great book.

What about using a role play shop (shoes always work well for us). They can make their own receipts and labels. There is great scope for 'pound notes' or coins to differentiate between high and low values.

• Like 2

Thank you for all that - really helpful; I was just tying myself in knots!

Thanks for the reminder about the Great Pet Sale - we don't have a copy at school and I keep forgetting that I have my own that I could use!

Catma - exactly what I needed. Really useful to think of money as a measure in this way.

Sue - lovely link, hadn't ever thought of going there!

Lovely! I've been thinking about my practice a lot recently (as you do ;) ) and I've come to the conclusion that my environment simply isn't rich enough in opportunities for children to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about it - subject for a whole other thread I think! - but I was really looking at them today and what they were doing and apart from a couple it was lots of low level play and a group of boys who were just 'running'. Admittedly I was on my own with them apart from a parent helper who was hearing some readers and I was heavily involved in constructing a new role play area - I like to do it when they're around if I can - so I wasn't supporting their play much but still... need to stop now or I'm just going to end up really depressed!

Don't get depressed - congratulate yourself on being a really reflective pratitioner who wants to do the best for her class. Even if what you see isn't what you want it to be, you can make changes, see the impact and use it as a case study for your next interview/performance management meeting/Ofsted *

*delete as applicable.

• Like 1

Don't get depressed - congratulate yourself on being a really reflective pratitioner who wants to do the best for her class. Even if what you see isn't what you want it to be, you can make changes, see the impact and use it as a case study for your next interview/performance management meeting/Ofsted *

*delete as applicable.

Thanks Catma - I can, if I'm honest, see lots of good things I've achieved in the 3 1/2 years I've been with this class but the mountain of things I want to/know I ought to do can seem insurmountable and there's the usual challenges of limited TA time, millions of other leadership roles (slight exaggeration there ;) ) and just wanting to spend a bit of time on me. Feels a bit like just treading water rather than developing anything sometimes. Still, have done things before so I can do it again - just need to remember to keep breathing!

I'm also doing some work on money and we are using the language catma suggested as well as looking at how we can make for eg 5p without using a 5p coin. I guess only on this site will people understand that I have just spent an hour of my life cleaning a bowl full of coppers for my lesson tomorrow - my own children are in stitches!

I'm also doing some work on money and we are using the language catma suggested as well as looking at how we can make for eg 5p without using a 5p coin. I guess only on this site will people understand that I have just spent an hour of my life cleaning a bowl full of coppers for my lesson tomorrow - my own children are in stitches!

hehe this used to be a montessori activity ...polishing coins with vinegar or ketchup

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

more than, less than, equals, that makes......use of pence to define the quantity...you're thinking about measures so money as a unit of measure is the main thing I would say.

Early Learning Goal

Uses everyday language to talk about money to compare quantities and to solve problems.

Description

Uses everyday language to share their thinking about money.

Demonstrates that they understand that one quantity is different from another even if they do not know the correct comparative term.

Examples from EYFS Profile Handbook

In the role play area Isobel counted how many coins she had. “I need to give the money to my friend. I’ve got ten pence.”

Monica and Cameron played in the pet shop together. Cameron said; “We need a 2p” and Monica picked up a 2p coin and said; “Here.”

Molly was working in the Chinese Restaurant role play area. Molly demonstrated her understanding and knowledge of money through her actions and use of appropriate language. She turned to the adult and said “Here’s the bill. It’s 50 pounds please.” She had written the numeral 50 on a piece of paper. “Do you have enough money?” she asked. The adult replied that she had a £50 note. “That’s good” replied Molly “you won’t need any change, that’s exactly the right amount.” She took the note and put it in the correct part of the till.

My understanding is that the goal it's not about: 1) identifying and naming coins and notes, or 2) counting them, e.g how many coins there are to a note. Catma points out that it's under 'Measures' and that money is a unit of a measure. I assume then that the measure is cost. Perhaps what we are supposed to be looking for is if children show some awareness of money by using relevant language to talk about cost, such as 'pounds', 'pence', 'more than', 'less than', 'equals', 'change'.
Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)