About Us
Tapestry

Literacy - Mark making ideas!

Hi all,

We are trying to develop our literacy/mark making area, apart from the obvious;

• Pens, pencils, crayons
  • Whiteboards & markers
  • Blackboards & chalks
  • We have clip boards with shopping lists & pencils in the role play corner (friut and veg shop)

I would like to rack your brains for some 'out of the box' ideas to make the area more interesting and entice and engage the children!

We have discovered some fantastic 'lipstick' type crayon thingies - can't for the life of me think what they are called - doh - will see if i have a receipt and will be back.......they are pretty pricey - but even my most reluctant mark makers just love them! :1b

• charcoal
  • tarpaulin with brooms and paint
  • Mops and shower curtains
  • straws
  • cotton wool dabbing
  • string
  • sticks
  • forks
  • decorating rollers
  • sponge pan scourers
  • combs/ hairbrushes
  • wooden/ metal spoons
  • tooth brushes
  • shaving brushes
  • large thick ropes
  • beads
  • ice cubes
  • mud........

I loved charcoal when I was little,my dad smoked a pipe so the ashtray was always full of really burnt matches which I would gather and use to draw on the walls outside. The day mom and dad bought me a box of charcoal sticks was fabulous.

I presume you have print displayed too, I used to buy newspapers in different languages whenever I could to just for a bit of interest.

Pens and pencils that were a bit unusual too, I bought some lovely ones from Hawkins Bazaar years ago, the lead was multi- coloured.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)