Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supporting pencil grip and control

Hi,

Just wondering how other's actually go about improving children's grip and control when they have actually chosen to use a pencil/pen e.g. do you correct their grip/model correct grip/allow to develop? Seems to be a lot of advice as to how not to go about it but no clear advice as the right way to do it?

Just wondering...

Thanks

Green Hippo x

Thanks that is helpful - haven't been on his blog for a while so had missed this one. Have actually asked my son's teacher to use the 'number 2' type grip today so pleased that he's had success with it too!

It's the 'step' before this that I'm a bit concerned about whether I'm doing the right thing or not (and I'm more aware of it now as I think my own son was 'forced' to write in a certain way too early and has formed a very stiff upright grip with his wrist bent round).

It's the children that are still holding their pencils in a palm grip or digital grasp that I'm thinking of - do we allow them to use this grip until they feel ready for tripod or do we correct their grip when we can? Or just model? I offer lots of fine-motor practise, strengthening/control activities with other media and materials but not always sure of the correct way to support them if they actually pick up a pen or pencil or paintbrush etc. Many of the children in my class are keen to write letters, so like what abc says I don't want them to form bad habits?

????

I found a great way to secure pencil grip but don't know how to attach. I googled pencil grip and it came up on you tube - it involves picking up a pencil the wron way round. If you can't find it then get back to me and I will try to make it a little clearer. :D

Thanks Mumm - I do use this technique also - point the pencil tip down towards the child? I find that this works really well with children who are not quite consistently picking up a pencil with tripod grip.

I'm just a bit confused/worried as to what point we should correct pencil grip? I.e. when do we move from 'allowing the children to develop their grip' to actively encouraging a correct grip?

I am in a Nursery class so many of the children come in just not able to hold a pencil correctly and there is such a lot of advice suggesting that we shouldn't force the issue, allow them to use whatever grip is comfortable and allow them to develop and move through the stages which most children do. But what about the children who appear not to be changing their grip even though their fine motor and gross motor skills have improved? As I said, lots of info warning us of the disadvantages of forcing this too early but no definite advice as to what to do when? Don't want to put children off mark-making making them feel like they can't do it correctly.

Green Hippo x

Try providing the children with an assortment of lead/colour pencils etc which have been cut down to about 3cms in length - you could build a story around the activity (fairy pencils? or something around superheroes?). Perhaps just show the children the pencils as opposed to asking them to use them (i.e. then child initiated if they want to use them) - but have a good variety, and they will use them with the 'correct' grip. Apologies if the suggestion of 'short pencils' has been covered in another link!

I'm a nursery teacher too and I use this method as well as talking about 'snappy fingers' and 'froggy legs'! And to answer your question, yes I do correct children's pencil grip (when I think they are interested and ready), using the above methods. If it's done in a fun and non-threatening way I don't have a problem with it - the children love to show mummy their 'snappy fingers' and 'froggy legs'! But of course, that's just one opinion - I'm sure there will be others and, at the end of the day, you have to do what you feel is right. :1b

An interesting question and one which i have thought about much recently after reading this .....

http://www.ot-mom-learning-activities.com/pencil-grasp-development.html

It has kind of thrown us into turmoil because although i have corrected pencil grip in the past i am now more reluctant to do so. My worry is though that the eyfs suggests children should be able to use a tripod grip at the age of 36 months!!! (ok if the children have had lots of fine motor experience before they get to me!!)

Since reading the OT stuff i have backed off and watched the children much more it is quite obvious that some are more ready than others and when left to their own devises and support given to their fine and gross motor skills they correct themselves at the correct time for them. The only time i have issues are those who have been forced too early....i have a 4 and a bit young lady who writes well with correct grip but if you feel her arm it is rigid and tight...she will suffer when it comes to writing large amounts! So although her teachers will think she's fab when she goes to school i'm not so convinced <_<

The good news however is since i have really concentrated on supporting FM activities lots of the children are now holding their pencils correctly....all by themselves! but i have also noticed that they sometimes revert...so i am still keeping an eye on progress.

Sorry not a very helpful answer ... :blink:

It was me who posted this link! I really liked the way that she explained the need to move from big movements to small movements and wanted to steal it to explain it to parents but it's copyright!

It is articles like this that make me wonder what the right thing to do is.

Hmm...

It was me who posted this link! I really liked the way that she explained the need to move from big movements to small movements and wanted to steal it to explain it to parents but it's copyright!

It is articles like this that make me wonder what the right thing to do is.

Hmm...

oh whoops :P sorry green hippo not really very useful at all then ! :blink: so it's your fault i'm having a quandary then is it!

• 1 year later...

HI all,

can anyone tell me where i can find individual images of the different pencil grips stages that children go through? i'd like to print them out onto A4 and stick them on the wall for staff use

Thank you

If you go to abc does blog then you will find the link there. On the lefthand side is the links to different parts of his blog - I think there is a fine motor link. Otherwise just Google stages of pencil grip and go to images and you should get something!

I found this amongst my notes. Don't remember where I got it from.

To assess how strong a child’s hands and fingers are to see if a child may be ready to learn to write, one can ask the child to:

• Make a fist and hide the thumb, pop up the thumb without the other fingers unclasping and wiggle it back and forth.

• Pinch the thumb to the tip of the index finger and bend back and forth, or try holding a bead and see if the child can move the fingers without dropping the bead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)