Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Incident reporting

I am just writing an operational guide for staff handbook and was adding a bit about writing up incidents - my issue is, we have always written behavioural issues in this booklet, but i've just checked our PSLA policies and it says:

• The incident book is not for recording issues of concern involving a child. This is recorded in the child's own file.

Should we be doing this? Incidents are always shared with parents in a considerate manner anyway.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

We used to put incidents involving children in a incident book. However these are now recorded on a individual sheet and after sharing with parents and being signed are now placed in the child's I file. :)

Have you made your own individual recording sheet?

We too had the PLA incident book and ive just gone to order a new one and seen they now advise individual sheets not a book.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this post

3.25 Providers, including childminders, must keep a record of any occasion where physical intervention is used, and parents and/or carers must be informed on the same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable

What do you consider to be 'reasonably practicable'??

If a child has hit / bitten today but isn't collected by a parent as they are at work would you

1) call work?

2) wait until the evening?

3) talk to them when they are next in the setting?

Hi thumper - in my setting I use 'Daily Contact books' so a note would go in there........probably not much help if you don't use such a system.....

Perhaps a note in envelope passed to whoever picks up or speak to whoever picks up - think I should go away now - not being much help really :blink:

Hi thumper - in my setting I use 'Daily Contact books' so a note would go in there........probably not much help if you don't use such a system.....

Perhaps a note in envelope passed to whoever picks up or speak to whoever picks up - think I should go away now - not being much help really :blink:

You are always of help Sunnyday :1b We don't use Daily Contact Books but in this instance I can see a reason to do so :P

We 've never passed on the info verbally through anyone else eg childminder but equally I don't like the idea of ringing someone at work to say by the way 'your child has just hit another child' ringing in an evening just seems inconsiderate? plus when do I stop working? (very good question -_- ) doing the next time in the setting could be a week away and would Ofsted consider that to be 'as soon as reasonably practical'??

• Like 1

We have a question in the registration form about if parents' give their consent to us telling any named person about minor incidents and accidents when collecting, this being e.g. a grandparent or child minder. If not, I will send an e-mail at the end of the day. In some cases I do this anyway. We have an A6 folder with numbered pages where we record this and the person informed signs.

• Like 1

We have a question in the registration form about if parents' give their consent to us telling any named person about minor incidents and accidents when collecting, this being e.g. a grandparent or child minder. If not, I will send an e-mail at the end of the day. In some cases I do this anyway. We have an A6 folder with numbered pages where we record this and the person informed signs.

There we go thumper - a much more sensible answer! :1b

Thanks Wildflowers,

So if a child has bitten someone would you email the parent of the bitten child and the parent of the biter??

and then do you get them to sign the incident/accident record when you next see them?

I would email/ phone parent/text, put note on accident/incident form that the parent was emailed (possibly attach copy of email depending on circumstances) then get parent to sign when next in.

Minor accidents we get the 'collector' to sign. Behaviour incidents we try to deal directly with parents whenever possible.

Behaviour incidents we try to deal directly with parents whenever possible.

Yes I agree, it doesn't sit right with me to report it to someone else,, as they would then have to pass it on again to parents.

Thank you all for your input, I think I'm going to update our policy and add email as first option if parents don't collect - most parents have phones that give instant email access these days anyway.

would be interested to hear if anyone thinks this isn't a good idea.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)