Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help - what are the mandatory policies and procedures?

Hi, i'm new, i'm sorry to ask such a question with a long list of answers but i've just been offered a job at a private brand new nursery.

I have to create all the policies ad procedures, and risk assessments from scratch.

I just wanted to knoe the main policies, prodcedures and risk asessments for now, and then i can do the rest as i go along weekly.

thank you so much :)

I'm not sure if this is up to date, but it might be useful. Try looking in the resource library too :1b

Welcome to the forum :D ::1a

I'd put H&S, Staff recruitment, Food safety, amongst the top one's. If you join the PLA, they ahev a set of policies you can adapt for your setting and there might be some in the resource library. Shout if you want to read more of ours :D

Brief outline of policies.docx

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

would suggest buying the PLA policies to use as a basis and change them/ use them to create your own.. they are not overly costly for the amount of time they will save you.. no need to be a mamber they cost a bit more but not enough to worry find them here

Edited by Inge

This is the latest factsheet from Ofsted listing the requirements for records and policies. :1b

what it does mean where it says risk assessments don't have to be in writing?

i thought they have to be carried outv and filled in on a daily basis? unless it means written in detail

what it does mean where it says risk assessments don't have to be in writing?

i thought they have to be carried outv and filled in on a daily basis? unless it means written in detail

Risk assessments are not the same as a daily checklist. A risk assessment is a document outlining the potential hazards you have identified, and what you are doing to minimise the risk attached, etc. It will also state how often the risk assessment should be reviewed/updated, etc.

A daily checklist is, well, a daily checklist!

Childminders don't have to have them written, but all other settings do- a risk assessment policy, that is.

Hope that helps.

A question for Reception teachers. Do you have separate policies to the rest of the school or are you incorporated into whole school policies? How about the welfare requirements specific to Early Years? I must have written over 30 policies - we do not have a nursery and so just the one Early Years class. I'd be interested to hear what others do - thanks.

Schools do not have to have separate policies - as per EYFS statutory framework 2008 and 2012. Also it does not have to have some of the ones that are for registered providers only as they are not registered providers.

Cx

Edited by catma

Risk assessments are not the same as a daily checklist. A risk assessment is a document outlining the potential hazards you have identified, and what you are doing to minimise the risk attached, etc. It will also state how often the risk assessment should be reviewed/updated, etc.

A daily checklist is, well, a daily checklist!

Childminders don't have to have them written, but all other settings do- a risk assessment policy, that is.

Hope that helps.

thank you :)

Thanks for the link (didn't know it existed despite getting bulletins from ofsted)

How does everyone check the I'd of visitors?

Advisors, tutors, health workers etc are obvious in that they have I.d but what about prospective parents? Do you ask to see something and do you refuse entry if they don't have any with them (I generally don't have any I.d with me if not at work and could only offer a bank card - would that be enough with it having no photo, as it doesn't prove who I really am)

Visitors are never left unsupervised, would it matter if they weren't I.D'd?

(And we offer no appointment visits so couldn't pre warn to bring I.D)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)