Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths help please

Rea

I'm sorting hubby's accounts, not my strong point at all, not even a tiny bit. :ph34r:

I need to know how I can find out what £16.60 is as a percentage of £69.95. I've tried different amounts but cant do it. :blink:

Please help :1b

Its ok, I've worked it out by going all through the numbers! Its closest to 23.75% !! £16.613125 :D

Oh crossed posts, thanks Jacquie, Mundia was the name that came to mind as soon as I knew I had a problem. :D

Edited by Rea

That passed a very happy, if wasteful 10 minutes, thanks Rea!

Google has got very smart at doing instant calculations actually within the search bar. Try it by typing in 45 * 34 and it should give you an immediate answer.

However it's not smart enough to give you the result if you type in 'what percentage of 69.95 is 16.6', so you have to know the formula. Once Matt had reminded me that this would be 'smaller number divided by bigger number multiplied by 100' I was able to type in '16.6 / 69.95 * 100' and instantly, without even pressing return, google very cleverly gives you the answer.

However, that relies on you knowing the formula. There's an even more clever scientific search engine called Wolfram Alpha. If you have a moment go there and type in 'what percentage of 69.95 is 16.6' and it gives you a rather lovely and comprehensive reply.

Ah well - back to work I guess...

• Like 1

We once learnt these things at school and I have been dredging up the memories, having felt guilty about using the internet as a calculator. I don't think they'd let me back in the classroom now as my eyes began to glaze over reading Steve's explanation (sorry Steve) .

I always approach percentages as a logic puzzle.

1% of £69.95 is easy to work out. It's £0.6995

Now you need to know how many of those there are in £16.60.

So you know the sum you need to do is 16.60 divided by 0.6995

Put that into your calculator and you get 23.73.

So £16.60 is 23.73% of £69.95

Does that sound about right? If so you've probably calculated it correctly. If the answer is ridiculously wrong try again.

Edited by Upsy Daisy
  • Like 1

I had to read Steve's explanation twice, the second time slowly so it could sink in. I know I did this at school but I remember one lesson doing fractions in primary at which my eyes and brain could only see scribble. Not much has changed to be honest!

I wouldnt have known 1% was that either :huh:

Thanks, but Steve used his brain and I went to my default action of consulting the internet. Actually it is easy when you know how now you chaps have explained. Work out the 1% by dividing by 100, so move the decimal point two places, and the rest follows.

Thanks, but Steve used his brain and I went to my default action of consulting the internet. Actually it is easy when you know how now you chaps have explained. Work out the 1% by dividing by 100, so move the decimal point two places, and the rest follows.

Lah lah lah lah lah - nope not going in - not listening - don't like maths! :ph34r:xD :lol: xD

• Like 1

That's where team work comes in, everyone has their strength. I can do the stories and arty stuff but I flounder with anything like maths or science especially physics!! In a class of around 30 our physics teacher read out the results of a test, highest to lowest. Lee 89%, Neal 88%, Richard 86%....Jayne 17% Andrea 16%...I do believe there was a 14% in there too, so not quite bottom.

• Like 1

Maths for me every time as well! In fact I missed maths so much when I left school and got married, that I got a maths text book out of the library so that I could solve some problems :ph34r:

Oh!! Beau :oxD

I freeze and panic when maths is mentioned and when my boys have maths homework they need help with, I always say "ask your Dad" Would love to be confident enough to go to adult education and try to improve on my maths but like Sunnyday all I hear is blah, blah, blah!!!

• Like 1