Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Getting ready for school

Thanks Sunnyday, have you made up your own or do you send out this?

I send that one thumper.........sure that we all have children who are super skilled in number, letter etc. but are without some of these skills :blink: :o :1b

• Like 1

With PSED, Communication and Language and Physical Development so firmly highlighted in the EYFS now - and research showing that so mnay children are starting school with SLCN, anything that emphasises the importance of fostering development in these areas is good - that article fits the bill!

You might find this website useful too ...

http://www.wordsforlife.org.uk/3-5

And this one - I know it says Talk to Your Baby but there's some stuff for older children too! :1b

http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/talk_to_your_baby

• 2 months later...

Having just seen the letter I must send out to parents this week I want to cry. It lists 'important' skills that children need to have mastered before starting YR, such as writing their name with correct letter formation and standing quietly in line to enter the classroom in the mornings. I will be sending out this Parents' Guide too methinks. Thanks for posting.

Having just seen the letter I must send out to parents this week I want to cry. It lists 'important' skills that children need to have mastered before starting YR, such as writing their name with correct letter formation and standing quietly in line to enter the classroom in the mornings. I will be sending out this Parents' Guide too methinks. Thanks for posting.

:angry: :( whose this coming from??????

Head teacher - fully supported by DHT and my job share colleague (despite me being EY leader).

I'm an ex EYC but trying to get good EYFS practice in place is like banging my head against a brick wall. Other edicts from above have included 'you should have two sides of A4 covered in posts its/pics for each child, each half term in each area of learning and development', 'all the DMs must be numbered so you can reference them in obs' and, when discussing transition 'it doesn't really matter who's in charge of the class with such young children, they don't notice who's there' (I complained that constantly taking me out of my nursery class to cover absent colleagues in KS2 was illegal, in direct contradiction of the requirement to build trusting relationships in EYFS and was seriously hampering my ability to 'know' my class - one parent even asked if I had left!!!!).

I should delete this post methinks :-(

Needless to say I am looking for a job elsewhere!

Oh dear........so as finleysmaid just asked - who wants this other letter sent out? :blink:

Pleased that the 'Parents Guide' may be useful :1b

Oh crossed posts there - sorry........

Edited by sunnyday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)