Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

5 minute "filler" games

Hi just wondering if anyone has a favourite game they play with a group of say, 15-20 children as a filler for five minutes, we play things like what colour/pattern are you wearing, a shape game, a name game just looking for something new to play with the children on the mat before they go off to wash their hands, or during transition times.

,'what's in the box/bag' is useful to fill up a few mins....just grab anything and put in a box/bag .they can ask questions, pass bag round the circle to feel (but no peeping) or shake and make guesses...does work better with not so young ones, if older ones that few mins is often used to bring in phonics activities, I spy is always popular (they,re pretty rubbish at it and next child always picks same object as first but they do like it) but its quite hard to find things that suit all if u have 2 year olds in the mix.

• Like 1

Mine enjoy a 'memory game'........so a tray with a few interesting items........cover the tray - take something away and they work out 'what's missing'.........sometimes we play this with our 'squidgy, sparkly' numbers which adds another learning opportunity! :1b

At other times I might use a 'provocation' - e.g. a bag full of shopping - just to get some good conversation going..........or my 'famous' treasure tin - so fill a pretty tin with objects and take them out one by one - let the children decide what they are, what they are used for, what they are made of etc. etc. - always works very well - all children (even tinies) seem to engage very well with this :1b

• Like 3

Thank's Sunnyday, I was thinking of the tray game (?Kim's game) love the number idea with it, have done it with objects starting with the same sound, and then with an odd one out sound too.

Oh yes - I do the 'sounds' with a 'sounds box' - which is just a variation on my 'treasure tin'.......a pretty box with objects all starting with the same sound.......

an activity that involves objects and artefacts that is not part of continuous provision that you can bring out and talk about ....any unusual objects (charity shops are great for these) that you can store in a basket at adult height that you bring out just a 'filler' to share and discuss.

My box used to have a set of matched sounds in pots.. we used film canisters but any small pot that are all identical and can be closed... 3 pots, with identical contents and one different... I had about 10 sets of 3 colour coded to make it easier for me! children then have post to shake and work out which one is different , guess contents, uses as shakers to make music.. etc etc.. You could use used vitamin pots with different coloured tops labels removed or covered , there used to be a yoghurt drink in a pot with a screw lid too, that was a good one..not sure if it is still available.

rhythm clapping rhymes...

• Like 1

My box used to have a set of matched sounds in pots.. we used film canisters but any small pot that are all identical and can be closed... 3 pots, with identical contents and one different... I had about 10 sets of 3 colour coded to make it easier for me! children then have post to shake and work out which one is different , guess contents, uses as shakers to make music.. etc etc.. You could use used vitamin pots with different coloured tops labels removed or covered , there used to be a yoghurt drink in a pot with a screw lid too, that was a good one..not sure if it is still available.

rhythm clapping rhymes...

you can get the film cannister pots free from boots. well you used to be able to.....

how about making up a rhyming string to go with their name e.g. frankie/hankie/tankie/zankie etc - ours find this hilarious. or change their name to start with the same sound e.g. s. love to do this too, but be careful - lexi with a s at the front!!! also making up an alliterative jingle for their name e.g. fabulous frankie finds funny fish. these help with rhyme and alliteration.

another we do is think of 2 actions and use to make a pattern e.g. clap and rub tummy - then sing song to tune of bobby shaftoe

clap your hands and rub your tummy

you have made a pattern!

change actions - children love to choose and be 'leader' with you - our children are nursery

couple of songs that work well

the firsts ones more of a rhyme than a song but i do sort of sing it!

i've got a word that rhymes with bat

it's black and hairy it's a ........?

ive got a word that rhymes with fog

it goes woof woof it must be a ......?

this goes on for ages really easy to do just make it up as you go along

second one is sung (though i can't remember the name of the tune at the mo!)

a hedgehog is very prickly. a hedgehog is very prickly a hedgehog is very prickly ...it couldn't be anything else

then you ask the children that they want next and they have to describe 'what' its description is

so a dragon is very fiery....or a cow is very mooey! etc etc

• Like 2

couple of songs that work well

the firsts ones more of a rhyme than a song but i do sort of sing it!

i've got a word that rhymes with bat

it's black and hairy it's a ........?

ive got a word that rhymes with fog

it goes woof woof it must be a ......?

this goes on for ages really easy to do just make it up as you go along

second one is sung (though i can't remember the name of the tune at the mo!)

a hedgehog is very prickly. a hedgehog is very prickly a hedgehog is very prickly ...it couldn't be anything else

then you ask the children that they want next and they have to describe 'what' its description is

so a dragon is very fiery....or a cow is very mooey! etc etc

we sing the hedgehog song to......its sort of to the 'farmers in his den' tune ?

the hedgehog song is driving me mad...the nearest i can get is here we go louby lou...but it's not quite right!!!!

Not sure Finleysmaid, but it reminds me of one we used to sing years ago,

Pray open your umbrella

Pray open your umbrella

Pray open your umbrella

and shield me from the rain.

The shower is nearly over

the shower is nearly over

the shower is nearly over

so shut it up again!

Panders - I 'invented' a new one today! :1b

Do you have any of the large nuts/bolts?

These were given out and I said 'Ready, Steady, Go' - children 'raced' to screw them together shouting 'done' and holding theirs up when they were indeed 'done'!

Even the very 'littlies' seemed to manage and enjoy! :1b

• Like 1

Panders - I 'invented' a new one today! :1b

Do you have any of the large nuts/bolts?

These were given out and I said 'Ready, Steady, Go' - children 'raced' to screw them together shouting 'done' and holding theirs up when they were indeed 'done'!

Even the very 'littlies' seemed to manage and enjoy! :1b

Yes have excellent selection of large coloured plastic ones - also, have tin of metal ones, (but that would be wicked!) Love it, thank you Sunnyday

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)