Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff goodwill Christmas Party dilemma

As someone else has mentioned I see it as 2 different issues..

being asked to work daily without pay.. and asked to work on 'special' day as a volunteer... would the second worry you if you were paid for the correct hours? probably not... so making a stand on that will it make you feel you have gained anything, or missed out? Personally i would want to attend, if less than he others so be it.. but for the rest..

I would be looking at adding up all the extra hours each week, and then show how much this adds up to in a year... other staff may not realise how many hours this can add up to... from this you can work out your actual hourly rate... these are the hours I would dispute with bosses and turn up for my contacted hours or at least drastically reduce my unpaid hours each week.. if others don't want to that is their issue, but do explain to them the hours they are doing without being paid over a year can add up to more than a weeks wage, probably a lot more.. when they see they are working xx weeks a year without being paid they may be more willing to understand why it is time to dispute it.

• Like 2

on another point to do with pay ....we are always paid on the 20th of month to give staff time to clear wages by end of month, one of the staff has got quite funny today when she asked when wages were coming and i said 20th as normal, thought she should be paid earlier because of christmas, if we were paid by d/d it would be 28th of each month anyway...what does everyone else do ? is it normal for businesses to pay staff early because its christmas ? guess this has just arisen as term is running so late up to christmas.

on another point to do with pay ....we are always paid on the 20th of month to give staff time to clear wages by end of month, one of the staff has got quite funny today when she asked when wages were coming and i said 20th as norma

l, thought she should be paid earlier because of

christmas, if we were paid by d/d it would be

28th of each month anyway...what does

everyone else do ? is it normal for businesses to

pay staff early because its christmas ? guess

this has just arisen as term is running so late up

to christmas.

We are paid on the 1st every month! As we can't do dd on 1st jan it is normally 31st dec

• Like 1

ours was usually last Friday in the month, but if this was over the Christmas break would be the Friday before.. so just as you are doing..many big companies do the same... hubby is always paid last Friday before Christmas...

maybe a quick reminder that there will be a very long wait for the January pay...i used to put a note in with December wages reminding everyone of the date of the next pay day and that it was xx weeks.

Edited by Inge
  • Like 2

um difficult, they will have it by last friday...thurs actually but they(well one) dont think this is early enough. we can't do d/d natwest wont let us as need 2 signatures on cheques, did look at changing it to bachs, (still meant someone had to actually go to bank and authorise it) was going to set it for 28th of each month but then that caused a problem as dec wouldnt be till after xmas so it got left as cheque payment.

I think my staff should be paid for the hours they work, whether setting up, parties, staff meetings etc. They are paid so poorly for the commitment, time and dedication they put into pre school at such an awful hourly rate they should at least be paid for any extra. Would you work in Tesco unpaid for lots of hours each week for love of the jobb?????

um difficult, they will have it by last friday...thurs actually but they(well one) dont think this is early enough. we can't do d/d natwest wont let us as need 2 signatures on cheques, did look at changing it to bachs, (still meant someone had to actually go to bank and authorise it) was going to set it for 28th of each month but then that caused a problem as dec wouldnt be till after xmas so it got left as cheque payment.

OK this is going to sound harsh but I assume this person moaning is a grown up and has known that Christmas is on the 25th December for like ever......you have to budget!!! Boring I know, difficult in this current climate, I know but you do it! I come from a broken home (get your violins out now please :ph34r: ) and my mum was sooo short of cash looking back I am amazed at all the things we did but every pay day she had a tin thing like a fab money box with assorted slots and £20 went in one slot for gas, £20 for electricity etc etc and one of the slots was for Christmas and she saved all year to buy gifts and food. It is not cool but you have to learn to take control of your finances and it is not your job mouse to have to worry about it frankly.............do I sound very grumpy :(

As for the original post, I think I would probably do the Christmas party as it is about the children you work with. However, in the new year I would be dropping my child off and then sitting in the car with a cup of coffee and my book for 20 minutes and arriving at work at 9.25am. If the boss asks just say sorry but you aren't paid until 9.30am and so you have decided to run a few errands in the mornings to save you having to do them later.

In early years we all do our best to be flexible but there is a difference between being accommodating and flexible and being taken for granted and walked all over :(

• Like 5

haha love it Sue....thought it was me being really bah hum bug ! totally agree they know when christmas is, they know when they get paid you have all year to budget for it, and in the past i have suggested changing banks if the 5 days to clear is a real problem, had this member of staff last week just quietly said do you think theres any chance of committee paying us earlier next week i probably (well maybe) would have felt more accomodating 9its not even my money so i'm in the same boat as them), but the 'i hope you've arranged our wages early, you know my bank takes 5 days to clear' comment, then dragging other staff in to back her up just really annoyed me, i did ask how early their other halves were all being paid then....silence, and would they have even asked/expected it ?

• Like 2

My daughter gets paid on the 21st Dec instead of the end of the month BUT she hates it as she has to then budget for six weeks.

As you say, if she had had a quiet word with you , fine but how annoying is it when people feel they need others to back them up- I hate being ambushed like that.

• Like 2

I pay by Bacs transfer which clears the same day, I ask staff every year if they want their pay early as I also pay the last Friday of every month. All staff like to keep it as end of December as they have bills etc that come out and don't want to spend it!!

Kris

Just to update- the Nativity was yesterday and I didn't go in

I kept myself busy and had a lovely day. I took my 19 year old daughter who is home from her first term at university to see Santa and lunch out :D then took the dogs for a long walk as they have been sadly neglected with all the time consuming preparations for Christmas at nursery and home <_<

Did I feel guilty YES!

BUT it was arranged for a day I don't work. All staff are in nursery on a Tuesday but that would have meant the teacher not having her PPA time. I'm trying not to feel upset about it. :(