Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hand Mouth and Foot

Cait

Just had a parent ring me to say that her child (who has been at preschool from 9-3) has been to the doctor with what she thought were ulcers and she's been told he has hand, mouth and foot!

Anyone else had this in their settings? Should I warn everyone? Is it going to spread through us all?

we have had a couple of children with this - we just put a note out to parents, its a viral thing and 'self limiting' - so gets better by itself, think it just gives them a temp and the rash...usually lasts about 7 days.

my son had it when he was little - but no-one else in the family got it.

yes, have had loads...yes its spreads like wildfire! usually only children under 5 but can affect adults and older ones too. Treat it a bit like chicken pox so cant return until the water filled blisters have dried up. Try to limit water play and sand play. Watch the temperature can get quite high. Children may complain of itchy hand /feet and a sore mouth. This is probably the first sign if they go off their food..then you get blisters on hands/ feet ...the only thing i know of that causes blisters on the palms of the hands

Had it a few years ago and more recently, one child just before half term. This child stayed away due to high temp and very itchy especially at night, so consequently very tired during the day. No one else got it and I did pass on info to te parents about it (that I put together after the last time) and explained that there was no exclusion according to HPA.

interesting that the HPA say no exclusion and yet tell you that they have to be informed if you have several cases. When my daughter had it (she caught it from pre-school) she passed it on to her sister and another member of the family. I'm afraid i exclude just think it makes sense!

We have had several cases.I phoned HPA who advised , no exclusion,no problem. Just a virus etc.

We scrupulously reviewed and heightened our infection control procedures, sent a letter to parents mainly to reduce any unecessary alarm etc but to keep them informed and everything has been fine. Only excluded children who are ill or the Gp has recommended should stay off.