Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mirror Writing

Hi All,

I am wondering if you can help me. I have a little girl in my setting. She is left handed and has started to copy all letters backwards and from right to left.

I have introduced the green to red system and that seems to be working, but her parent still is a bit concerned. Is there anywhere online I can print her off some guidance to reassure her that it is a normal stage of development.

I odnt know where you can find help, but my friends daughter did it until the age of about 8. She also refused to put her shoes on the right feet too, always right on left and left on right. :rolleyes:

She grew out of both, so I personally wouldnt worry :1b

It's fascinating to watch! I believe it's something to do with brain hemisphere dominance. It's fairly common and nothing to be concerned about. Once the child's brain has sorted out the dominance conundrum, and synapses have developed, the child will stop doing it. I wouldn't be telling her it's wrong, as that may deter her from trying at all. Let her go with the flow and keep her confidence levels up

It's fascinating to watch! I believe it's something to do with brain hemisphere dominance. It's fairly common and nothing to be concerned about. Once the child's brain has sorted out the dominance conundrum, and synapses have developed, the child will stop doing it. I wouldn't be telling her it's wrong, as that may deter her from trying at all. Let her go with the flow and keep her confidence levels up

:1b So glad that you said 'It's fascinating to watch' it really is and I always think - how clever - sure I couldn't do that.......sorry loodle that is not the most helpful post......oh and welcome to the forum! :1b

I used to write with my paper upside down. My headmistress wasnt too pleased but no-one ever made me stop or turn my paper round. I always felt my body was in the way of my arm if I had the paper straight or even a bit angled.

Guest sn0wdr0p

I used to do mirror writing until I was 8. I couldn't read either as I tried to read from right to left (my parents and teachers didn't figure out what I was doing until then) once it was explained to me everything fell in to place and from being the child who had never read a book I completed the whole school reading scheme within the year and have remained an avid reader since then. I LOVE MY KINDLE and go through a few books a week.

The only thing that remains from then is that I start S and Z from the bottom when writing. I'm also left handed (I wonder if there is a link between left handed people and mirror writing-I'm sure I read it somewhere way back) oh and really rubbish at parking and reversing which my husband teases me about and says it is mirror driving.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)