Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

staff deployment start & end of the day checklists?

i have a rota for different jobs and this is so everyone knows what their responsibility and helps with the organisation,before noone had set jobs and everyone was tripping up or doing the same job or some did not get done !! it also means everyone gets the opportunity to do risk assessment ,snack, chatterbox, circle etc

Edited by lashes2508

I must admit I was wondering whether one person's 'set up' list would be helpful to anyone else. No two settings operate in the same way and so the tasks needed to be done every day would be different from setting to setting.

Ours was a combination of the daily timetable, with space for each area of the room/part of the routine and then I juggled the number of times each person did each job across the week and in the same day. This enabled me to ensure that the same person wasn't outside in the freezing cold packing away the shed or setting up outside all the time!

• Like 2

Why are there different staff each day?

Even part time staff should be working alongside full timers to keep consistency for the children.

The beginning of the day sets the tempo and feel for the sessions. Who sets out theplay areas, the garden, etc? although the children can make decisions they will need some guidance and surely there are some plans for various childrens needs and wants which should be covered from early morning..

Just what do your staff do?

I am baffled that anyone wanting to work with children needs motivation especailly first thing.

Well!!!!

I,m not at all baffled....there is always going to be 'doers'' and 'don'ters'...with the dont'ers happy to leave the cra**y jobs to the 'doers' so we do have rotas setting out which member of staff is responsible for what on arrival, like Happymaz we feel it shares tasks out evenly across week and the staff arriving later already know what's been done, we have indoor risk assess, set up playroom (including resources for any planned activities), outdoor risk/set up, prep creation station, kitchen check/snack prep...and tick check for each ensures everything gets done, it works for us Sharon.

Breaking the jobs to be done into 'chunks' does sound a sensible solution. Obviously you know how many staff you have each day and the length of time they get for setting up. The next step would be to list all the things that need doing and then decide how to 'group' them so that it would take roughly the same amount of time to complete each. I am assuming that all staff members work the same hours of course!

Then all you need to do is draw up a table with the jobs listed down the side, the days of the week along the top and this can then be filled in with the appropriate staff members name for each day.

Sharon probably has different staff on "earlies" and "lates" because of shift patterns as lots of day nurseries work this way. We are a day nursery but staff work the same hours each day, so we do have the same people setting up each day. We have a tick list of things to do and just work our way down the list, so people do get different jobs to do.

I'm ex-DN, but we still had the same staff on early/late each day of a particular week, unless there were particular circumstances. The 'Open up' and 'Lock up' teams were regular pairings that did the very early and very late shift alternate weeks. It makes for more stability and keeps a fair balance. We found that with this alternating, each shift were well aware of what a pain it was if the other shift didn't do the job properly - and were not averse to telling the other shift what they 'forgot'!

Wow!

Can I just say this forum is used for all practitoners to share advice, experiences and ideas with others. Please be respectful of those who would like to post topics on the forum. People do things differently in every setting because we all try to find a way of working as a team . Whether or not a setting has part time staff- children do have consistency from staff that work full time. Our setting's policy, specfically states that those children whose key worker is away or not working that day, the manager takes responsbility for them.

Sharonash- I have a staff timetable which is quite simple and made up using word document. It literally lists jobs on a particular day for example:

Circle Time, Story Time, Tidying, Snack Preparation, Planning Time etc. It just ensures that everybody gets an equal amount of time doing something. Its just helpful to find out what others do in other settings.

• Like 1

Yes, not day nursery but I still have a rota for who does certain things.

On my rota there is

Daily risk assess

Setting up kitchen

Manning the door

Cleaning toilets - has to be before and after we set up gggrrrrr!!

Registration

Circle time

Story time

Manning snack tables

Kitchen duties

These are split into different groups and there is a rota so that everyone does a fair share - and I do have some who would do anything not to clean the toilets and that is why there is a rota!

Would writing this list be something best done at a staff meeting?

It would give the staff the opportunity to suggest jobs for the list, identify the most logical order for them to be done and express any concerns they have about the allocation of tasks. Getting this done before the list is put into practice could save some chopping and changing afterwards.

• Like 3

I worked in a DN and the staff only knew what days/hours they would be working the next week on the Friday afternoon.... so I can see where the OP is coming from..

Not ideal for me- and I didn't stay there very long. (I like to know what I'm doing well in advance! xD )

Were I am now we have a rota with jobs shared taking into account hours/days worked - so that all staff share all 'job areas' and everyone gets paperwork/planning time etc .

Staff are free to swap with each other if they wish, for example if someone is having a bad day [ xD:o ] they might want to swap storytime!!!

xx

Thank you for all your replies. When I said we have different staff I mean shifts. I think a lot of it is perhaps the staffs attuitude that I need to sort. I always seem to see the same person setting up the garden cleaning toilets etc even though there is a deployment in place. I suggested they had I do have a deployment for circle time, story time etc but they said it isnt necessary, but I will try it I think as again I see the same person doing the same songs at song time etc!

thanks again everyone

• Like 1