Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supporting Left-handed Children's Writing Skills

Guest Pixieboots

Guest Pixieboots

Hello,

I'm an Early Years Practitioner in a playgroup. I'm intersted in finding ways to support a let-handed child develop her writing skills. She can already write her name clearly but I was wondering if there was a particular way to support left-handed children in their writing skills. Do we continue to let her form letter in her own natural, comfortable way or do we encourage her to form the letters in the way right-handed people do?

I will welcome any suggestions.

Pixieboots.

I was going to suggest looking on the Anything Left Handed website. I am a lefty and that site is great.

My top tips would be:

Get them to turn their paper on a slight angle (tilt the top right hand corner of the book/paper from 12 oclock to 2 oclock if that makes sense. This will allow for better writing position and enable them to see more clearly what they are writing. Their pencil/pen hold should be the exact mirror image of that of a right hander.

Some letters need to be formed differently when you are a lefty. Those that instantly jump to mind are t, f, and for some o.

Letter formation should be exactly the same regardless and that is what I have always taught. If you teach a different way to form t and f you are storing up a difficulty for later when children learn to join as the crosses need to be from left to right. Also o needs to start going to the left, if the child goes the opposite way which would feel more natural then that would confuse with other letters in the round family which all go to the left first (d,g,o,c,g,q)

Deb

Guest Pixieboots

Thank you so much for this info.

This is the first time I have posted anything on a forum, I really pleased with the amount of responses in a short space of time!

I will definitely be purchasing pens for left- handed children and being aware of the position of the paper etc, such simple things can make all the difference.

Pixieboots.

Thank you so much for this info.

This is the first time I have posted anything on a forum, I really pleased with the amount of responses in a short space of time!

I will definitely be purchasing pens for left- handed children and being aware of the position of the paper etc, such simple things can make all the difference.

Pixieboots.

Just to say......hi and welcome Pixieboots! :1b

Fab info apple thanks...i live in a half left half right family (terrible problems when eating at a table!) but laos a big help because my left handed daughter works with me ...her right handed mum! so we have the best of both worlds! apart from turning the paper the tip about holding your pen/pencil further up is really useful especially for little ones other wise you are constantly testing their memory because they cant see what they have just done!!.......and my daughter is as terrible with right handed scissors as i am with left! :rolleyes:

I too am a lefty and tilt my paper slightly but I do everything else right handed yet i have 2 children who both eat as though they are left handed ?? my partner is a lfety too and has the most beautiful handwriting and having just asked him he was taught no differently to right handers as neither was I but we do have left handed scissors at our setting and a sheet for letter formation for both preferences.

Another tip Pixiboots is to ensure that the left-handed child does not sit directly next to the right handed child i.e. where their arms/elbows will clash with each other. And don't forget about the settings on the mouse when using the PC - these can be changed for the left-hander although not always practical to do and many left-handers do cope but it is important to check that they are not struggling to use the PC because of the mouse.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)