Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

£500 for new childcare start ups

Has anyone else seen this - quite how far the government thinks this money will stretch is anyone's guess

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20321063

Insurance approx £300

Multiagency safeguarding training, safer recruitment training, allegations management training £300 approx (not including wages)

EYPS £a few grand depending on your starting point

Registration (all year round) £220

Ooops blown the grant already and haven't got the tea and coffee yet xD

• Like 4

Heard this on the news earlier and thought it was a political move to try to get more people off jobseekers and into some kind of work.

If they have any money lying around they should offer it to the people already here to support the constant minimum wage increases, they're killing us although I understand why its there and support it wholeheartedly in principle.

I really would love to know where they do their shopping though!

• Like 2

I read this online today and then listened to an interview with the minister on the radio. It was apparent to me (despite her careful wording) that this is to help set up new childminders. She kept slipping up and saying "childmind...no childcare providers". Work out the maths, £2m divided by £500 is 4000 "childcare providers". At best lets assume each childcare provider has 6 mindees, thats 83.34 per child in the first year only..hardly anything to write home about, I can not see how this would act as an incentive to anyone starting up in childcare, whether as a PVI or a childminder. Indeed let me go further than that. What an absolute waste of government money for a 2 minute headline that wil have little effect on the market.

Am I being too negative??????

No negativity well founded....you only have to scroll down the article to 'related stories' which is about childcare providers making a loss ...not really gonna encourage anyone to start up is it....even if more were needed, Totally agree Rea they should put spare money into the providers struggling and going under rather start more :/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)