Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

SEF for Pre-school October 2012

please be careful folks...think the guidance uploaded here relates to the old sef. The newer one can only be accessed if you log in to your ofsted account - pdf/word versions of sef and guidance are still the old ones.

The new one is only three sections. Lucyevans has converted the online version into a word document if it helps

I've just made a some posts (and a fool of myself!) on another sef thread about ofsted not removing old information!

Hi all

I have split this conversation from a previous topic that was started Feb 2010 as there was some confusion between old and new SEF.

Best wishes

Sue - Admin Team

Edited by Sue
Spilt from old topic

I have uploaded this before.........but I found it sooooo useful when I was 'doing' my SEF......I thought perhaps it should go into our new thread! :1b

Hope it helps!

Have you attached something sunnyday? :huh:

Oh blimey, I didnt think to look at the date!!

Forgive what I was thinking then!! xD :lol:

I do it all the time when I send something via email. playgroup staff know now to just wait and the attachment will follow :blink:

• Like 2

well i think i've almost completed my new sef online...whoop, whoop...but reading above (3 sections ?) i've got 6 ? now wondering if i'm even in the right place :blink:

have completed 1.your setting, 2. views of those using setting, 3. meets the needs, 4. wellbeing, 5. leadership/management 6. well i havent actually done 6 (overall quality) but my question is are we just putting in this box "if you've read the last b****y 5 you dont need 6" :ph34r: :angry:

now i cant even see where it said 3 sections, maybe on a diff sef thread...really losing it now :(

Edited by mouse63
  • Like 2

well i think i've almost completed my new sef online...whoop, whoop...but reading above (3 sections ?) i've got 6 ? now wondering if i'm even in the right place :blink:

have completed 1.your setting, 2. views of those using setting, 3. meets the needs, 4. wellbeing, 5. leadership/management 6. well i havent actually done 6 (overall quality) but my question is are we just putting in this box "if you've read the last b****y 5 you dont need 6" :ph34r: :angry:

now i cant even see where it said 3 sections, maybe on a diff sef thread...really losing it now :(

No mouse, it looks like you are on the right one!

Apologies; when I said 3 sections I had been looking at the new inspection report formats (they are starting to come out - see Gloucestershire) and we've been told the SEF reflects the report

Now I look more closely at the uploaded copy from Lucyevans it looks like they have combined the quality of provision and well being sections in to one judgement on the reports...and there's the bits about 'your setting' and overall quality - completely agree with you on that one mouse!

Edited by gingerbreadman

Rea - I didn't look at the dates either when I posted about the uploaded copies on this thread being the old SEF - assumed that with it being a new area it was all new content!

Just had visions of people new to settings and not familiar with the old SEF using these uploads and painfully completing the old style SEF...only to then have to bring out the new -

(ass+u+me and all that - so true!)

lol i knew it wasn't the old one as had previously done that one, but somehow thought id not ended up on the new, new one...i was able to log in using log in info for old URN, not able to see old sef though but let me start one for new URN with old log in :blink:

haha! add to that how great I am at confuddlling people and we have chaos!

apparently if your sef was submitted between sept 08 and Nov 09 then they can't transfer the information yet (mmm does it pay to be early and on the ball I ask myself!)

took this off the SEF page

**** EARLY YEARS SELF-EVALUATION FORM AMENDMENTS SEPTEMBER 2012 – IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PROVIDERS

We have made a number of key changes to the early years self-evaluation form. These changes have been made in response to the new Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) which came into effect on 1 September 2012.

If you have created a self-evaluation form since November 2009 this will be converted automatically to the new format when you click on ‘Edit’. We are currently unable to convert forms which were submitted between the introduction of the Early Years Foundation Stage in September 2008 and November 2009, although we hope to be able to convert these shortly. All providers may create a new blank form which they can update, save and submit, by clicking on ‘Create Blank SEF’ under 'New SEF' menu option. ****

I have also now had a first try at updating my sef, but found it really difficult..not technically difficult, rather just difficult to cut through the drivel I had previously submitted and answer the questions that they specifically ask in each section. I am still struggling......and I barely dare to admit it, but my new style sef is still 13 pages long!! Too long I am sure. How long is your anyone?

I can imagine ours to be lengthy once I get going!!

I don't know whether I can face moving things around from the old one so am tempted to just start from scratch other than using the details of the setting section from the old as it hasn't really changed other than cohorts

I think and write in a different way now so I figure in the long run it would be just easier!

Will let you know when i'm done but don't hold out for it being soon hehe - shame there's no grade for procrastination - I'd be outstanding!!! :D

I can imagine ours to be lengthy once I get going!!

I don't know whether I can face moving things around from the old one so am tempted to just start from scratch other than using the details of the setting section from the old as it hasn't really changed other than cohorts

I think and write in a different way now so I figure in the long run it would be just easier!

Will let you know when i'm done but don't hold out for it being soon hehe - shame there's no grade for procrastination - I'd be outstanding!!! :D

xD I too would certainly get an outstanding for procrastination!

I am thinking that I will pretty much start from scratch too........hmmmm.............might feel differently when I finally get round to it :blink:

So now I think I might set myself a challenge - mouse has said all she needs to (well hopefully) in 6 pages - I am going to do it in 5 :rolleyes: xD

• Like 1

Box 6 doesn't have anything in it yet....but am seriously just considering putting 'please refer to first 5 boxes'...just can't see the point in the overall quality box.....isn't that what the inspection is for ?

Can't really comment mouse as I haven't given the new format any more than a cursory glance! :ph34r:

At a recent training I was told to do no more than one side of A4 for each heading!!

Interesting.....looks like I have a lot of editing to do then. Seems sensible advice as would be much more readable for the inspector that my war and peace version.

Edited by eyfs1966
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was really pleased to see you can now do a word version and work offline and also email it to staff for comments etc. But then I found out that 1) the boxes won't stretch enough - maybe I am writing too much? and 2) the flipping thing then needs printing and POSTING (not emailing) to Ofsted. Otherwise you just do the whole thing online as before which I have always found very cumbersome. I had hoped I could fill it in using the word template then upload this but no :(

Unless it's just me being dim. Who knows...

just completed our 'draft' copy....took me 4 blooming hours !!! just have to sit with other staff members and get thier input.....i agree with the boxes not being big enough....i changed the font size to enable me to fit more in....but i also tried to make sure i wrote just enough to fit in the box.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)