Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How do I set up a private, secure facebook page that needs an invitati

Rea

Well, I've said it all in the title havent I?

I have facebook and I created a group for playgroup but I cant work out how secure it is because its linked to mine. I cant remember if I set it up to be invitation only, I think I did, but I'm not sure how much of my page people can see through the playgroup one. I never want people outside my group of friends to see what I do.

If I was starting from scratch, how would i do it?

Hi Rea , I set mine up originally from my own, soon realised others could see it if one of their friends commented or liked, so I then set up a new account with xxxxxxxx as first name and preschool as surname, then edited later so user name became whole name (if you see what I mean) the only people who can see anything other than profile pic have to be friends ....and this is only staff/parents/careers, I sent out a letter saying it was only open to them and when child leaves they will be 'unfriended' . Haven't got into the adding photos yet, but hope to when I've gotten round to the permission slips, so just adding need to know/reminders info at moment, also planning to post info on planned activities, but unfortunately fb isnt accessible at work so have to update from home.

I also set myself up another account that isn't friended to it so I can check what can/can't be seen from that one. Hope that helps.

Edited by mouse63

Just wondering why a facebook account for pre-school? Not trying to be negative but does Facebook not take away the professional relationship - just interested in what is going on out there and if facebook pre-school accounts is common place.

I'm finding it is actually helping to build those 'professional relationships' especially with younger parents ( so thats pretty much all of them) who are constantly attached to their mobile phones....they take more notice of updates, reminders etc on the fb page than they do the newsletters I send out and find it has opened up a doorway to them private messaging me about things then coming in for a chat, the feedback from parents was very positive that we'd set up the page and lots of Dads that we rarely see have joined which is also a plus :)

• Like 3

I am not a member of Facebook personally and I have only ever encountered the downside of it (parents posting photos of sports day and gossiping about pre-school rather than come to us and talk) Our parents have got a pre-school fund raising page and as far as I know it works well for sharing ideas and passing on information.

I personally would not have one for the pre-school but I can understand how you may be able to target parents better. Maybe I am just a dinosaur and should move with the times but Facebook just leaves me cold

• Like 1

Rea is it a group or a page you are setting up they are different things..a group can be set up from your page and be anonymous so they cannot see your page and also be secret so only members can see what it posted. It allows control over who can be a member and you can remove them if you want. if you want I may be able to help.. send me pm and we could link on FB to see if I can help. Cait also has something set up so she may be able to help , not sure how hers is set up but know one is for her setting.

It is a case of go with it, many parents use it and it can be a good tool to communicate with them..

many groups use it and if it gets younger parents more involved who may well feel insecure approaching in the setting, it can be a scarey place for many so many people in a hurry, and not knowing anyone.. a page or group can make some feel more involved.

• Like 1

I think I've sorted it Inge thanks. :1b

I set up a page from my page ages ago but I invited staff onto it and that's where the worry was for them, that parents would be able to see their own pages. I've just removed staff so I'll get them to see what they can see now and then announce it to parents. I've set it so only I can post, so really it will be just an information page, newsletters and reminders etc.

I wont be putting photo's of the children on, just things we've done or are planning and things about the group.

:D

• Like 1

thats how i use mine Rea, can parents thats are friends comment/like on your posts ? mine can, but unsure if they can actually post on it themselves, no one has but doesnt mean they cant, i'll check that later and may need to ask how you did it) but it doesnt mean the parents can see staff pages anymore than anyone else could that wasn't their personal 'friend', my staff are unable to see the status' of the parents that appear on the preschool page as im the only one that can see the news feed, anyone else only sees the profile page which only shows what i put on it.

I think I've sorted it Inge thanks. :1b

I set up a page from my page ages ago but I invited staff onto it and that's where the worry was for them, that parents would be able to see their own pages. I've just removed staff so I'll get them to see what they can see now and then announce it to parents. I've set it so only I can post, so really it will be just an information page, newsletters and reminders etc.

I wont be putting photo's of the children on, just things we've done or are planning and things about the group.

:D

For parents or anyone not to see staff profiles, the staff need to set up their own security levels high enough so that only friends can see it... easily done, no one can see mine in groups or pages unless they are on my friends list..

i run several groups for different things... which is different to a page.. often anyone can see what is on a page even if they do not belong to it... a group can be set so no one can see unless they are a member.. and the ones I am in people need approval to join, a page anyone can 'like' and join.

Yes that's what I've done Inge, its a group I've set up, at first I was a bit scared myslef but I think I've fixed everything. Now I have a week to test everything out before I announce it to parents.

Mouse, I set it by clicking on the little icon that looks like a cog, that allowed me to change the settings.

My own privacy was so high I couldnt find myself yesterday so I'll tell the staff how to do that too.

I think, despite the fears people have its the way to go with everything being online and with so many phones acting like PCs The staff dont have to join if they dont want to, I'm doing it from a committee point of view, get parents interested in what we do and they might be inclined to join

• Like 2

I'm slightly confused here. I set up a PAGE for our group as I thought it was the way to go and have had a few parents and stsff like the page but none are able to comment so it's really doesn't seem to be worth it. However I do believe it would be a way to reach alt of our parents . I did set up a group previously but staff were concerned that all friends would see all there personal comments on Facebook.

Can I set up a group separate from my casebook that parents and staff could befriend but keep my own and everyone else's face books separate? Think that's what I mean!

I set up a separate fb account yesterday with playgroups name but fb wanted a phone number when i tried to log in but if it was a number that was already registered it was against the rules adn my original account would be deactivated,thats why I've stuck with the group thats linked from my page.

I've done it!! It looks really good too and I've managed to upload a file, add an event and change our profile picture to the same as the banner we have outside the church hall.

I'm really pleased with it and now all I've got to do is convince everyone else and then get parents to join :D

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

Setting up a group really is the easiest way... you don't need to be a friend of anyone that is admitted to the group, and in fact you can set a new admin and leave the group and it will be intact.. the fact that anyone can see your profile is your own responsibility to set your security hight enough so it does not happen, this is down to the individual to sort out.. so staff need to set privacy in such a way that no one other then those on their friends list can see their profile etc,

Fb are beginning to try to remove and cut down on setting up an account in a business or pets name etc... and they then have to become a friend to see the page etc...not so in a group. no need to become friends at all and saves any privacy issues, unless your settings are not high enough.

Pages are anyone can see and a like is enough to be able to contribute to it ..

FSF group is here... I am not admin so cannot change much.. maybe we need an active admin on it so we can show how to do it..

(Maz can you get it sorted for new admins to be added)

I agree Inge, the staff should have tight security, mine was so tight yesterday I couldnt find myself at all!! I had to go in and change it so people could find me, I might live to regret that though! :o:D

• Like 1

The page is looking really good, I have borrowed some lovely stuff Inge put on the FSF page.

Now I've set it so only administrators can post but the one ad only other member commented on a post...I wasnt expecting that, is it normal? I was expecting just me to be able to write on there!

I believe they can comment but only you can start new conversations or add new stuff... never tried an admin only group..

If anyone is interested they can find us at FSF addicts.. has been there a while, but thought a bit of revival needed now Rea has asked the question on setting up groups.. a bit of an experiment really.. maybe add links to items, etc that we find.. that may be interesting for some..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have tried to set up a 'secret'g group- but it wont let me as it is asking for names of members?

I went in via my own fb username and started a group from that but obviously dont want any friends

from mine and I cant invite any as dont have parents emails yet??

Would i be better to have it so parents can see the group (not the content but the name) and then send a request to join?

If you want a bit of help you can add me if you want, just until you've asked me anything you want to know and then delete me. You dont need emails necessarily, the people you want to interest just need to know the name of your group and then they request to join.

I've sent you a pm also :1b

also willing to help if needed... but you want a closed group rather than secret... that way they can find the group with a search but not see any content... it is not really linked to your account, as you can hand over admin to anyone and then leave.. but you need a Fb account to set one up.

also willing to help if needed... but you want a closed group rather than secret... that way they can find the group with a search but not see any content... it is not really linked to your account, as you can hand over admin to anyone and then leave.. but you need a Fb account to set one up.

Definitely not secret, that didnt work!

• Like 1