Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

restraints file

We had training last year that clarified what we should do and ANY restraining you had to do was to be recorded and parent informed. Not got a specific file though would use Incident book if required and give duplicate to parent. Now we are not allowed to peel childen away from parent even if they want us to. Occasionally parent has had to put upset child down and let us comfort them- not what we like but you have to work with the parents.

korkycat

Thats what we use, but she told me today that i should have a file with loose pages that we record when restraint have taken place, at the moment we complete an incident form, this is shared with the parents, if its a child who needs restraining often they complete a permission letter, i cant see anything wrong with the way we do it... why do they always make you question what you do....... aaghhhhh

Thats what we use, but she told me today that i should have a file with loose pages that we record when restraint have taken place, at the moment we complete an incident form, this is shared with the parents, if its a child who needs restraining often they complete a permission letter, i cant see anything wrong with the way we do it... why do they always make you question what you do....... aaghhhhh

I'm really quite puzzled by this ........ did she explain why?

I'm especially puzzled by the reference to 'loose pages' - I always thought that this was discouraged to avoid pages being removed....

I agree with Sunnyday that we had been told not to use loose pages, but I decided to return to loose pages some while back. I have a format I keep with the safeguarding file which we would complete. However, I had not considered the scenario of when a child doesn't want a parent to leave and we "hold on to them until they calm down", I was going more from the point of view of a child having a "melt down" moment. Hmm, will have to review with staff now :blink: :(

Now we are not allowed to peel childen away from parent even if they want us to. Occasionally parent has had to put upset child down and let us comfort them- not what we like but you have to work with the parents.

good grief ! why on earth would this be unacceptable?

Please tell me who told you this so that i can go and argue it with them!! ;)xD :rolleyes:

I'm on a safeguarding day next week, definitely going to ask about this one!

Oh please do.........I am very lucky and only have one that we have to 'peel off' mums legs and we do have to hold him - if we didn't he would be 'out the door'........it is not something that we enjoy at all - but he is one of those children who as soon as the door is closed behind mum he is smiling - laughing even :1b

i did my designated person training last week nothing mentioned there!

No...not said on mine either.......think they making it up as they go along now......have you ever heard of Candid Camera?? Umm...yea...makes you think dont it??

Well it is a form of restraint, that cannot be denied - again it's just down to interpretation I suppose, some authorities will go further than others.

If so much is being left to providers to make up their own minds about now, e.g., risk assessments, staff recruitment crb checks etc. then this is just another case where we make up our own minds and those who are very cautious will wish to make sure there are no chinks in the armour.

• Like 2

I've heard this before. It was told to me as "you must record any event where you have to physically handle a child - ie lift them, restrain them or hold them". I have to say that working with children of the ages we did (2-4 years) I simply ignored this as a dictat given by someone who had never worked with children below the age of about 10! I'd never have had time to do anything else but record otherwise. Can't remember exactly who said it to us but I remember feeling it was advice from a primary or secondary age setting trying to be applied universally. Certainly my school now didn't want to record when I had to physically carry a child in the other week. Common sense does sometime prevail.

this is something that i to have been informed about this year, basically we need to now keep a file of any physicl intervention that takes place in the setting, so we have a seperate file that is just for this purpose, the parents are then to also sign to say that they have been informed, how it was discribed to me was physical intervention is anything that the staff have to do in order to prevent something else worse happening.

Hope that helps

:D

• 2 weeks later...

ok, spoke to a Senior child protection officer this afternoon and she is adamant that we do not use the word restraint, in our policies or dealings with behaviour management as it has very serious connotations.

She says there are 3 occasions when a child's behaviour needs adult management when a child is putting themselves in danger, another child/person in danger or causing damage to property.

She suggests that for any of these 3 incidents that the Behaviour Management Policy and Procedures, (i.e. distraction first, etc.) are carried out and that incidents should be recorded in our usual way. She suggested that by recording that a child needs to be supported when a parent leaves should be recorded because it may show a pattern of only at certain times, i.e. Mondays, or only when a certain adult drops off and this could be used to analyse the situation. But she was quite adamant as I say, that we do not use any expression to do with restraint/restraining when recording.

When we did our CP Designated Person training, the trainer particularly said that the rules about generally touching children was different when dealing with the those younger than school age because their needs are different.

I find it hard enough to say no to the little arms reaching up to me now that my back is getting older I refuse to do it for any other reason!.

Quite right Melba, no one is saying we can't do it, afterall, in my own setting's case it is in front of all the other key workers so we would have a lot of witnesses it just needs to be recorded and the reasons why children are being held on to, as long as it is recorded then that should be o.k. just don't use the R word!

I don't believe we should ever stop comforting children when they are in need of it in any way, that would be wrong,

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1