Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food Safety and Hygiene

Hello

I was wondering if someone could clarify for me please.

Is there a legal requirement when serving snack to children in pre-school to wear disposable aprons and gloves or can we wear a wipedown apron without gloves?

I would be interested in hearing what other settings do.

thank you kindly :rolleyes:

I am not aware of a legal requirement to serve a snack wearing an apron. We don't. We do follow Dept. Health guidelines regarding the preparing of the snack and kitchen hygiene, the children help themselves to the snack so we don't serve it as such.

Hi

I am not aware either of there being a legal requirement, but we use the safer food guidelines, tie hair back, wearing a clean tabbard/apron, checking kitchen equipment, using seperate boards etc. We have Kitchen checks which are done daily on opening and closing the kitchen area. We run from a Village Hall and are registered with environmental health as we to serve snacks only to the children. x

We wear a disposable apron while preparing snack but not necessarily for serving it as the children help themselves. On our food hygiene course at the beginning of this year I asked about wearing gloves and he said unless you are going to use the single packed sterile gloves then you are actually better off to just give your hands a good wash before hand than you are wearing gloves :1b

• Like 1

I've been in settings where only an apron is worn and settings who use gloves, hats and aprons. I personally think if you just follow basic hygiene rules you cant go far wrong. Dont forget, we dont want to protect children from every single germ do we?

• Like 2

Thank you all for your comments.

We follow the guidelines that you all mention but we are finding using the disposable gloves a pain!

So it is great to here that we don't have to.

• 2 weeks later...

We don't wear aprons :/ is that a requirement? I agree with Rea on the germ thing - they need to build up a certain amount of immunity surely. My children are 9 and 18 and have literally NEVER had a stomach upset. I'm not exaggerating. I am certain that's because I'm a very slapdash homemaker :ph34r:

We have a 5 star rating with environmental health at work but this was over a year ago so I guess rules may have changed...

Our health and safety officer went on training and the aprons were brought up then, they were pointing out that if you are going to the toilet, having noses wiped on you, art and craft etc etc literally anything could possibly be transfered onto the food when you are preparing it - that's when we started wearing aprons :D

I can understand the apron thing, it's the gloves I find so hard. We have had people (tutors, LA DW's, PSLA )in at various times over the years who think we should wear gloves if serving/preparing snacks. However when challenged the same people back down when we say but look at the children preparing and serving food and they are not wearing gloves???? If we cook cakes, make soup etc with the children as an activity no body bats an eyelid at the non wearing of gloves. We dont wear them as long as good basic hygiene rules are followed (and my staff always do) then I find gloves unnecessary Our gloves are in boxes of 100. If you take one out it is impossible not to touch another-so as someone has said unless they are individually sealed then it's impossible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)