Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spelling?

Hi

I have a fairly new member of staff that has a problem with spelling. She quite often spells childrens names incorrectly when putting their names on their work and when she does written observations, that parents see, there are quite a few spelling mistakes there as well. There isn't a laptop at work for her to make use of and to use spell check. Even if there was, it wouldn't help with spelling childrens names correctly and writing up post-its during the day. I have talked to her about it a little bit, asking her to check spelling of names by looking at the pictures of children on the wall which have their names underneath. The only thing is, I don't think she is aware when she is writing that she isn't using the right spellings.

She is a really good member of staff in everyway - very enthusiastic, was desperate to have her own keyperson group and keen to take on more - it's just her spelling.I don't want to make too much of an issue of it with her as I don't want to upset her but I need help with what to do next please. So if anyone has had this issue at work and can give some advice I would be very grateful.

Thank you

Could you give her printed labels for work, until she has "got" the name spellings? As for obs, I think you may need to point out errors and ask for them to be corrected. However, that's because I am a bit of a pedant about this kind of thing, despite being a poor speller myself (as many of my posts have shown!!). I just think it looks terrible to have spelling errors on anything that goes out to parents.

Edited by eyfs1966

Thanks for your reply. You are right about correcting her errors in the obs, particularly as parents see them. She is going to see a parent this week, i will go through the paperwork with her and get her to correct any spelling mistakes. I corrected her spellings once before and she rewrote the obs but she still had errors (some of them different ones!)

Thanks

I too was wondering if there was a difficulty like dyslexia. I had a member of staff with this , although she was well aware of it and we paired her with another member of staff who often used to help with her written work, and sit with her, or if in a hurry she would ask someone to note it down for her .. it worked for us, but she knew and had been diagnosed having had help at school with it in the same way we were doing..

She could read the children stories really well, but it was the written side she had difficulty with.

I could have written your post Sue! One of my NVQ students regulalrly spells names wrong on work and in the learning journey. I recently had to go through a whole file and change the name on each and every page. In all other respects her paperwork is good but obviously it does not look good to have your child's name spelt wrong... I totally understand the need for having a C grade in English in childcare - now if someone could just explain the need for a C in maths.....;););)

We make individual small name labels which are laminated as a whole sheet and cut up and stored in the child's tray. These are attached to artwork on the walls and stand out nicely to be read. It's also helpful for children recognising their name in print as it's consistent.

• Like 1