Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Creative Materials Accessible For Child Initiated Activity...

OK, so thanks to this forum we have now successfully set up our self service paint station. I had a little smile to myself because the idea was met with a little anxiety from my (lovely and very effective) team. But to everyones surprise the children have taken to it really well and so far no major incidents!

I would really like to make the rest of our creative materials a lot more accessible to the children and wondered if anyone had any ideas. I have seen some tilt bins in the TTS catalogue and thought this might be a possibility but thought I would see what wonderful ideas were already in use. I currently have a cupboard with boxes of bits and pieces in, an art trolley for papers etc... and boxes on the top for pencils, crayons, chalks etc... the children can already access the boxes of mark making things quite freely but the paper trolley is a nightmare - maybe I just need to reduce what is on it to make it easier to access? The collagey bits are what I was thinking could go in the tilt bins...?

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received!

Mel

x

Hi,

We are lucky enough to have the Early Excellence shelves and small box set-up but at my previous school I used mini plastic sets of drawers - Each draw can then be used for a different collage material. I have also seen a setting use large transparent sweet jars.

Green Hippo

x

We have an excellent Community Playthings art trolley which our county gave us a few years ago and it does make life very easy for the children. there are a series of smallish plastic boxes along the top shelf which we can fill with collage bits, there are baskets underneath in which we can put boxes etc. and at the front there are wooden slats behind which we can put a collection of papers for them to use. It also has holes in the top for plastic cups to sit inside where pens, scissors etc. can be stored

I think the jar idea would work well. I did read on here some while ago that one of the larger superstores give away this type of tilting tub when they have empty ones. I know the Tescos I use occasionally has these and they are filled with things like erasers, and other small items.

TTS do a shelving unit with plastic jars with lids,we saw one at another preschool bit expensive at but we are hoping to order one as it will save so much time when setting up.

Want to try and set up the self service paint station ourselves bur have lots of new children and 2 years olds.

We have an excellent Community Playthings art trolley which our county gave us a few years ago and it does make life very easy for the children. there are a series of smallish plastic boxes along the top shelf which we can fill with collage bits, there are baskets underneath in which we can put boxes etc. and at the front there are wooden slats behind which we can put a collection of papers for them to use. It also has holes in the top for plastic cups to sit inside where pens, scissors etc. can be stored

Yes, we have the same art trolley - it is fab - lovely to see the children using it so effectively :1b

Love the community playthings trolley but way out of our price range.

Love that trolley too but it is pricey. I find it really stressful working out what to prioritise when spending the available budget especially when there are so many lovely things around to tempt me!

Mel

x

• Like 1

we have just set up our creation station too , we use a table on castors that was just left doing nothing on the stage so now out everyday , we have all materials on it so children can access . i covered with sticky back plastic and items are in boxes or trays ( one of our mums works in hospital , they have blue trays which their kit is laid on and then trays thrown away , so now we get them , children can then choose and bring tray to table , scissors are in a wooden scissor block , paint in tubs and hand wash bottles with small pots from mc donalds, collage items in tubs etc

children love it - we cant have a purpose built trolley as no room to store so this works for us

• Like 2

looking for cheap tilt bins that are stackable.. check Asda...

they have plastic ones that stack well and have a scoop too if you want to use it.. noticed it the other day and thought how useful they would have been for collage stuff...

• Like 2

Guest sn0wdr0p

We use the asda tilt bins for the children to help themselves to breakfast cereals and they are pretty sturdy and not expensive!

We,ve had a creation station for over a year where children just come in and do what they want...we have 4 large slant fronted bins with diff types of recycled materials in each so they can choose junk modelling , a long, not to deep table with small work shop type boxes along back which get changed on a mon too diff collage bits & bobs (as they become more independent they rummage in the drawers themselves for what they want), then one with diff scissors & paper and one with different types go glue, sticky tape ...

Just need to work om those hand soap paint dispensers now :)

• Like 1

We,ve had a creation station for over a year where children just come in and do what they want...we have 4 large slant fronted bins with diff types of recycled materials in each so they can choose junk modelling , a long, not to deep table with small work shop type boxes along back which get changed on a mon too diff collage bits & bobs (as they become more independent they rummage in the drawers themselves for what they want), then one with diff scissors & paper and one with different types go glue, sticky tape ...

Just need to work om those hand soap paint dispensers now :)

Tesco have Palmolive soap dispensers on half price at 99p - I bought 7, decanted the soap into a large empty bottle and washed them out. Just need to perfect mixing a little water and soap into the paint to make it a little easier to dispense (but not too easy!)

Mel

x

• Like 3

We just had low level shelving with paints, glue, crayons small boxes of craft materials etc lined up on them.

The only time we had a problem was when one of little lads who was autistic emptied tubes of glitter on the floor while a member of staff had her back to him pegging up a wet pictures to dry and he was super fast!

As long as the shelving isn't too high should be fine....just trying to save money....tilting shelving and special trolleys sound expensive xD

• Like 1

I just use a low shelf too, mine has empty square (ish) ice cream containers on it which I have fixed with stick and stick velcro so that the adult can remove them to fill or clean but they cannot get accidently knocked off

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)