Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Underage Sex

I have attended a Safeguarding course only appro 4 months ago and was horrified to be told that there is no age of consent for sex, I argued the case but the trainer insisted that if you had a 18 year old having sex with a 14year old and the 14 year old consented and that social services etc were happy with that, that they can carry on without any repurcussions. My understanding was that any person having sex with a minor under the age of 16 years faces prosecution whatever the case. This has also caused confusion with some of my older sons friends who were told at school that it was okay to have sex at the age of 14 years without any worry but the law when you look it up states otherwise. Was the same training sector training the schools. My training was given by Catch 22.

Has anyone else been told the same as me by a trainer?

This needs to be straightened.

I'm not sure it's as cut and dried as either of these views. I remember being told some exceptions. Will need to do some research.

http://www.fpa.org.uk/media/uploads/professionals/factsheets-non-printing/law-on-sex-factsheet-january-2011.pdf

'The Sexual Offences Act 2003 introduced a new series of law to protect children under 16 from sexual abuse. However, the law is not intended to prosecute mutually agreed teenage sexual activity between two young people of similar unless it involves abuse or exploitation.'

Honey

That's not quite the same thing Honey. The age of consent is still 16, even if the law decides not to prosecute in certain circumstances. And as for social services deciding they're quite happy for it to carry on without any repercussions...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)