Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cleaning

Just a question, how often do you clean toys/ blankets/ dressing up clothes/craft trolleys and everything that needs cleaning? lol

Oo and sorting things out, like how often d you do a big sort out?

If staff dont want to do it, we used to get parents involved. They could take a box of equipment home to wash or mend. In all the years we only ever lost one box of duplo, which was better than it could have been. Or tip it into the water tray and let the children wash it a box at a time.

as i write this I have a rug being washed in the machine !! since starting nearly a year ago , I have sorted cupboards at least 6 times !!!! the garden , garage and is always ongoing !!they used to have a rota so that it can be reocrded and parents were sent home with toys during holidays to clean- all soft furnishings are washed at least fortnightly and i invested in small handheld steam cleaner that bought our plastic chairs up a treat - they were disgusting !!!could not beleive they had not been cleaned!! I am very anal as one member of staff told me but my answer is if things are kept cleean and tidy it makes all of your lives easier too. Our setting is in a village hall and we have several cupboards dotted all around , if we had pedometer on we prob do a couple of miles easily each day.

Aww lashes, you need to speak to my managers lol! i'm in a playschool in a small village too, nobody really bothers about cleanin :( Its disgusting!

They moan about not having time, i say we have to make time, its really important!!! and a requirement..

We didnt have a cleaNing rota, and to be honest we havent done it for some years, everyone seem's so busy these days. We used to put a list of jobs on the wall and invite parents to put their name next to one. If they didnt, I would tell them I'd do it for them as they obviously didnt mind which job they ended up with. Staff still ended up with some jobs but sharing out was so much better for everyone.

Aww lashes, you need to speak to my managers lol! i'm in a playschool in a small village too, nobody really bothers about cleanin :( Its disgusting!

They moan about not having time, i say we have to make time, its really important!!! and a requirement..

How frustrating for you........you are completely right 'tis very important

Hmmm, i shall keep on at them, i hate moaning all the time though..

And if it was down to them they would leave me to do everything myself.. i physically can't do it all though lol!

Hmmm, i shall keep on at them, i hate moaning all the time though..

And if it was down to them they would leave me to do everything myself.. i physically can't do it all though lol!

Perhaps it is time for a rota or 'action plan' - name of resource to be cleaned and name of staff member responsible for that and a date for when this should be achieved by........unclean environment, resources is a complete no no in my book........can you explain about the control of infection? Sorry - explain to your staff I mean - not to me! xD

• Like 2

Just a question, how often do you clean toys/ blankets/ dressing up clothes/craft trolleys and everything that needs cleaning? lol

Oo and sorting things out, like how often d you do a big sort out?

We wash everything weekly and have a couple of big clear outs a year!

perhaps we should take a leaf out of the south koreans book...we have a new Mum whose twins have just started...she really wants to come in and clean! in her home country all mothers are expected to come in and clean the pre-school when they are scheduled on...if they cannot do it they have to pay another mum to do their duty! ;)

• Like 3

Yes the same as Rea - I did have a major clear out of books yesterday - we had got a crazy amount - much as I love books even I had to acknowledge this - my lovely deputy went off with four bags full to the charity shop! :1b

i admit to having the same problem....i am indeed a bookaholic! (feel so much better after confession!)

....but i have just given a whole load to my ey advisor to go to a child minding group in the area...she and they were delighted and i was happy that they were going to local children who will look after them!.....at the same time i mentioned that my carpet was being replaced, she is now taking that for a local group too!!! :o

as regards to the cleaning we do a mixture of all of the above and have had to step up the regularity recently due to one VERY dribbly boy!!!! <_< (yes i 've referred to ENT already!)......i put all the plastic toys through the dishwasher.

I'm so pleased we are all concerned about the state of the toys i recently visited a reception class where everything was filthy and half the toys were broken or missing parts...YUK :(

• Like 1

we used to..

big clear out once a year.. mean big, fully empty everything out - this did sometimes take 2 days to do.. and we had bags of rubbish at the end.. used to fill my car and go to the dump with most as was not reusable by the time we had finished with it.

weekly - toys that were washable and able to go in the water tray did one day a week something different... label on the box to say when last washed.. meant a fair rotation of cleaning , if we felt it was not often enough we did a twice weekly one for a while..

dressing up/ washing machine type items - once a week I checked them and bagged the ones needing cleaning/washing..and a member of staff did it.. rota meant no one did it more than once a term..add parents into the mix and it can be longer... I used to leave a notice out saying bag of washing needs doing.. volunteer please... usually found one mum willing, never lost anything. one mum volunteered to do one a week while she was with us, working so unable to help in other ways.. worked well.

Home corner... an area that we found often missed cleaning and was always in need, it gets really dirty. food etc. went in the water tray and once a month I used to go and get the children to help clean out the cupboards and surfaces, a damp microfibre cloth works wonders with a bucket of a little warm water supervised by a staff member- gives so much learning for the children as well as getting the job done.. children could also lots using this method.. and with adult help does actually become clean.

books, had a constant check and clear out..we always had far too many, I had 3 boxes to rotate them so we would change them regularly and check them each change throwing out the ones too damaged or replacing the much loved ones for next time they were out.

painting easel, was a daily wipe down..as were lots of things, a few minutes to do.

and the general cupboard was a quick tidy once a week, 20 mins for a member of staff to do... we had to keep it tidy though as all had to go in at end of day, was one of those tardis cupboards where tables chairs etc. all had to go in.. sand and water trays we were lucky enough to have a corner to stack them and leave them out.

I do think it really helps if one person takes responsibility for doing the checks and getting it going all the time.. I had a member of staff allocated to the cleaning check role.. she was a naturally tidy person and could not cope when it all got too messy.. and as it was done all the time did not take long to do... leaving it makes it a chore and a task that seems impossible..

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)