Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Steps!?

I have heard this too, it is more about knowing where they are at now, what their interests are now and using this as a starting point to plan for this child. They will respond, be engaged, motivated and learn better if they have interest in the activities offered.

You can see from the devs where YOU would like them to go eventually and keep this in mind but it shouldn't be a next step for this child as they all develop in their time and they may need more time to develop where they are at now.

They said you shouldn't give actual "next steps" as such because you cannot plan what a child will do next let alone learn so it is all about here and now building on what they already know so they can learn in their own way and direction not dictated by a practitioner.

• Like 1

Yes you are right Hoolahoney, that is exactly what they said.... so ladies its tear up those 'Next Steps' and think PLOD and they also said make planning much more flexible and lead those children on more on the day or next time they are in..... so basically your planning sheets should all but be blank and you fill in as you go depending on what the children want to do in continous provision and plan more for things that you know children wont usually go for.....

I give up - I may do something radical and just let the children play without me standing there with a clipboard noting down everything they do and hope it can be turned into a next step or current interest etc etc.

If OFSTED don't like it the so be it

• Like 7

well i dont know what to think, in july we went to our 2 hour training of the revised EYFS and they have given us a next step sheet to use with all the children. we have to include this in all our learning journeys and complete one for every child...... wish they would all sing from the same hymn sheet, lives getting very confusing.... LOL

well i dont know what to think, in july we went to our 2 hour training of the revised EYFS and they have given us a next step sheet to use with all the children. we have to include this in all our learning journeys and complete one for every child...... wish they would all sing from the same hymn sheet, lives getting very confusing.... LOL

Ha ha! Does make you smile dont it! So many different thoughts and ideas being sent from on high, makes you wonder.?? I personally lovethe idea of blank planning sheets...tee hee.....most of mine are (hush my mouth).. we really do fill it in as we go...like Hoolahoney says you often dont know minute from minute let alone week from week what will inspire or ignite a childs play!!! Take yesterday one small group of 3 yr old boys went from - mending the house with tools to painting it with water to it turning into a truck that was broken to riding to Asda to get food to hiding from the witch that lives in the Church to filling the sand pit with water to make slushy pirate tracks.....with me chasing after them :) :) to get a quote or two for my Alistair Bryce Clegg style board! Looked like they were having great fun...all that imagination....who am I to say what comes next! Just throw in a few props and the skys the limit! Thinking of putting a notice outside saying. "We are of the Plod belief - Ofsted, if you are a Next Stepper- please move on...."

• Like 9

I'm really confused!

So I have a planning sheet for individiual children to be carried out by Key Person with the idea being that they review the observations made at the end of this half term and plan some possible activities which may help the children to build upon the skills they have and are demonstrating in their child initiated activity. I used an idea from here which someone had posted and I am really keen to start this as reflecting on last year I don't feel we were focused closely enough on individual children's needs \ development.

The planning sheet is attached - so am I now to understand that we are NOT to plan for possible next steps? What do we do instead, sit and leave it all to chance? I am a little bit frustrated with different messages coming left right and centre and no actual single definitive answer.... Grrrrr!

Help \ opinions very welcome!

Mel

x

Planning For Possible Next Steps.doc

• Like 1

My advice - do what works best for your children - not what OFSTED or LA's or the latest hippy thinking says

Totally agree :D

Reading through this post - my 'next steps' are actually a mix of everything anyway. It depends on child- so it might- be a def activity, talk with parent, changing the CP,following a PLOD or simply a 'continue too'.......... anything really.

Think I might change the wording from 'next steps' to 'how can we support this child's learning and development?'

• Like 1

Totally agree :D

Reading through this post - my 'next steps' are actually a mix of everything anyway. It depends on child- so it might- be a def activity, talk with parent, changing the CP,following a PLOD or simply a 'continue too'.......... anything really.

Think I might change the wording from 'next steps' to 'how can we support this child's learning and development?'

I think perhaps I will follow this idea and just change the heading. After all it seems what we all want to do is look at where the child is currently at and make sure we are planning appropriate support \ input \ available resources to allow them to continue to develop and progress. Maybe we are all just getting bogged down and tied up in the wording of it all?...

Mel

x

We had 'plods' on all our obs/planning...then was told to use 'next steps' now back to plods....aarrrggggg........and aren't they really the same ?

Well I agree, it sounds like my next steps are PLODS, so I am not to worried.

• Like 1

Ok, this may be very controversial but here goes:

I've have always found doing next steps to be almost impossible to do. I, like many other people on here, have tried every which way, every different format etc to find a way that is MANAGEABLE! I am a teacher in a school Nursery with 2 TAs. Although my TAs are very competant, (although one is not very confident in her knowledge), deciding on the 'next steps' is ultimately up to me. My problem with the whole thing is that in theory with 30 children we could be having to remember or refer to a possible 180 different 'next steps' (as we have been advised that we all must know all the children's next steps!). We are then advised that we shouldn't be 'doing' a child's 'next steps' in a certain week or with one particular activity as we wouldn't be expecting the children to achieve their next steps in a week or with one activity but over a period of weeks or months. We are also advised not to be carrying clipboards around with us and to just get in amongst the children only jotting down what we might forget. And there is NO WAY that I can remember 180 next steps without something to refer to. Then... we become over-conscious of whether we are supporting children in their next steps as we are playing with them and the whole thing feels unnatural and we end up not really following what the children want! My other concern has always been that ALL children have a next step in ALL aspects of ALL areas of learning not just the ones that we pick out and it feels like we are narrowing the learning down to just 6 aspects. I know that children are learning in all aspects as they access the environment but I just feel we should always be open to what is happening at that moment and promote and support the best learning for that child in what they are doing NOW which I know is what we usually do but then have the nagging 'next steps' making us think we haven't done enough because we haven't 'covered' what we have written!

I know of a number of settings who have got Outstanding (some repeatedly) and not one of them does individual next steps for each area of learning. What they seem to have in common is that they demonstrate a excellent knowledge of where the children are up to now (so in theory we know where they should be going to next!), and they pick out target children or often groups of children who need an extra boost with a particular aspect - planning particular activities/resources/changing provision or staffing etc. Then, they do on-going, daily enhancements, support, activities etc to support individuals in what they are doing today and what might take them forward tomorrow etc. Hope that all makes sense!

Having said all that, I'm not sure I am completely comfortable at giving up the traditional 'next steps' but I am certainly going to stop TRYING to do an individual plan for each child covering all areas of learning all the time. I am probably not as competant and experienced as many of you out there and certainly don't have a good memory but I feel it is important to keep things manageable or I will go mad (or madder!). I am also aware of how many times 'NEXT STEPS' has been a thread on this forum which tells me that many people struggle with it, and yet our children still make progress, we still meet individual needs and can tell anyone about our children's progress!

Sorry for the rant, I'm sure many people will not agree with me and have found a way of working individual next steps - if so, please tell me how you do it successfully!

Thanks, Green Hippo x (please don't hate me!)

• Like 3

180!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ok, so I am in a pre-school, which may/may not make a difference - But I have said before, I do not 'do' paperwork for the sake of it. If it doesn't serve a direct purpose I do not do it. :o shock horror :D ::1a

Only one or two NS (unless more are needed SEN for example) per half term. HOWEVER staff can tell you what child needs what- on a daily basis :1b :1b . This informs daily enhancements.

XX

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 3

Green Hippo, I think you are making perfect sense. It drives me mad that we all feel compelled to write down and record next steps when actually, as competent practitioners who understand the developmental stages and needs of young children, we are actually doing next steps every single time we interact with a child. I can not and will not record every interaction, nor will I record every last thing that a child plays with or does. At the end of the day, next steps and PLODs are out of date the minute they are recorded.

Ducks and runs for cover....

• Like 4

I think it goes back to having a true understanding of child development, to enable you to feel comfortable in working the paperless way. Unfortunately we are constantly being asked to show progress, anotate, evaluate, whatever you want to call it. This term we have started off with no plans [ shock horror], but the children are engaged, motivated and having a great time, surely thats whats should be important. I know the staff are feeling a little uneasy with the new format of working but i am hoping this will give them more time to play, interact with our lovely children, instead of sitting there painfully filling in forms.

Yes i know we have to do progress checks, but i think this will actually be easier to fulfill working this way.

Our staff already have a wonderful relationship with parents and im convinced continuing to work in this way offers best outcomes for our children in our care. :1b

• Like 4

No Melcatfish, you are right in planning possible next steps they just want you to call them possible lines of development, it came from the county I am in and were very specific to say scrap next steps! YOu are doing it the way I am going to so carry on :) x

i wish people would sing from the same hymn sheet too! Whether it's local EY advisors or whoever saying no next steps - it clearly states in the new EYFS that practitioners will

"understand and observe each child's development and learning, assess progress. plan for next steps"

It's there in black and white under the 'practice' section of the A Unique Child Theme.

Oh and is anyone still referring to the commitments (which have disappeared in the revamp!) we quoted loads in brackets in our SEF so now have to take them all out !!!

• Like 1

i wish people would sing from the same hymn sheet too! Whether it's local EY advisors or whoever saying no next steps - it clearly states in the new EYFS that practitioners will

"understand and observe each child's development and learning, assess progress. plan for next steps"

It's there in black and white under the 'practice' section of the A Unique Child Theme.

Just having a 'tidy-up' and found notes from a meeting in June - says 'next steps are very important' ..... :1b

Obviously our EY advisor had read the revised EYFS :D

x

• Like 1

In three years we've never planned next steps on weekly planning :o

We are aware what age range our children are functioning at and plan activiies, linked to their interest and abilities, that offer various opportunities to develop across many areas of learning so i don't feel any great need to write these 'next steps' down.....its in the EYFS.....I hate extra 'uneccessary' paperwork!!

Observation Summaries have a box that says 'Next Steps to Support Child's Learning & Development'......At nursery......and At home........ so this is a longer term focus identifying areas of development for the child over a period of time before the next summary date....so i don't feel the need for it to be written on weekly planning. Practitioners have this in mind when planning the activities as I said above.

The 'Advisors' change their mind more than they change their knickers/undies....i'll just argue my point with them till i win :D

Edited by Guest

Hello

I went on some training for the new EYFS on Monday where I was ensured that we must plan for next steps and they mist be linked back to your observations. However the next steps must be kept simple as on the previous EYFS it was thought that we were expecting to much from our children.

So that's what we'll be doing!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)