Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pain Relief For Teething

laura

Now we have babies in our nursery I now have to deal with teething. I've had parents asking me what my policy is on giving calpol etc. Now obviously babies can't stay off if they are teething and they may need pain relief as and when, so it's hard to fill in a medical form. Some parents want to bring in a bottle that we give when they need it, but I'm not sure about this, as how do I know when it was last given at home etc etc.... I may give parents forms to fill in that say I gave calpol at ____ today - he may need more from _____ - what do others do?

Aghhhh so much to think about and do and NO time to do it!

We would ask the parent to fill in the form each time and write on it when the baby/child last had the medicine, then write the next time it could be given and the dose. Calpol is paracetamol so its really important that babies (or anyone else) doesn't over dose.

Have you thought about/tried other forms of pain relief such as frozen or chilled teethers, teething gel, and hard things to bite?

Beehive

thanks, I think I'll get them to fill forms in then, might give them a stash to fill the bulk in and then they can date when they come in. Just know that when they need to leave quickly they'll not want to stand a fill a form in.

I've got teethers and those ice filled ones so I'll offer those too.

I don't have experience from a professional point as I teach in a school but my son attends a private nursery and before they administer any medication (they have their own calpol) they ring us and double check that he's not had any and if he did what time he had it. I then have to sign a form when collecting him. I also had to sign a form when he started about giving medication. He's never had it at nursery for teething but has had it a couple of times for other reasons.

Guest sn0wdr0p

Parents have to complete a form each morning when they drop their child off stating when to administer medication that day. Our sofware programme prints out individual forms for every child with the right boxes for parents to complete and this saves us a bit of time.

There is also a guide to administering medication on the Ofsted website.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick update, OFSTED have now provided guidance and a little clarity on the subject of meds and some info around what they class as 'prescribed'

I have to be honest and I say I feel they are being more generous as I never classed 'prescribed' as they define it - it's here if you want to learn more!

I have to be honest and I say I feel they are being more generous as I never classed 'prescribed' as they define it - it's here if you want to learn more!

Thanks so much for this Gingerbreadman. For so long we have had parents running around, to the doctors or pharmacist, to get pain relief prescribed for the odd cold or teething issue. Bloody idiotic - makes me look like a right bureaucratic 'job's worth'.

Honey

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this Gingerbreadman. For so long we have had parents running around, to the doctors or pharmacist, to get pain relief prescribed for the odd cold or teething issue. Bloody idiotic - makes me look like a right bureaucratic 'job's worth'.

Honey

no it does not , it means you take your role seriously and err on the side of caution to protect yourself and the children in your care-

as for teething - do they still do Biccipegs - my daughter loved them when teething - natural

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)