Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journey - Inspiration Please

****Just realised I have posted in the wrong forum - could admin move this to Early Years Observation, Planning and Assessment if possible?*****

Morning all,

I have searched and searched and been back and forth with ideas of how to revamp our children's learning journeys. I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me how they document children's learning and development. Also, if anyone has any photographs of their journeys this would be really useful as I would like to inspire my staff team!!

Any help or advice much appreciated

Edited by tinkerbell1403

Welcome to the forum Tinkerbell and thanks for making your first post :1b If you're considering alternative ways of collating information for learning journeys, and you'd like to look at using technology, we have just developed a new product called Tapestry- online learning journals- and you can read about them here

I'm not in practice any more, but when I ran my own nursery we had scrapbooks for each child and once a fortnight we grouped together as a staff for a couple of hours and stuck in the pictures, observations, chatted about the children, and made suggestions for taking their learning further.

What are you unhappy about with your current system?

• Like 1

Hope this helps! I use it as the old P scale and highlight as i have planned for and date if i have seen the child actually doing the deed so to say. The large box is for evidence using short/instant/spontanious obs. If there is any long obs i link the date on to the large box.

Regards

Pussycatdoll

2012 PROFILE 2.docx

2012 PROFILE 3.docx

2012 PROFILE 4.docx

2012 PROFILE 5.docx

2012 PROFILE 6.docx

2012 PROFILE 1.docx

Edited by Guest

Hi, we use the dev statements but look at it as areas not as individual statements. We then mark each area once a half term with red for emerging, yellow for developing and green for secure to show where they are at. We have a progress summary sheet at the front to see at a glance how they are developing. This is all new this term for us so still adjusting and making changes. It's nowhere near as nice as the others on here but does the job! We call it keybook btw as our learning Journeys are a mix of obs, pics, wows and anything else in date order in a scrapbook, these are done with the children.lj.doc

Welcome to the forum Tinkerbell and thanks for making your first post :1b If you're considering alternative ways of collating information for learning journeys, and you'd like to look at using technology, we have just developed a new product called Tapestry- online learning journals- and you can read about them here

I'm not in practice any more, but when I ran my own nursery we had scrapbooks for each child and once a fortnight we grouped together as a staff for a couple of hours and stuck in the pictures, observations, chatted about the children, and made suggestions for taking their learning further.

What are you unhappy about with your current system?

Thanks Helen. My concern at the moment is that staff are just observing for the sake of observing and arent capturing the meaningful achievements they make. I have recently done a training session with the whole team to explain the purpose of the learning journey and focused on quality not quantity. I would rather see 1 page of quality photos, work products and observations than 10 pages of one sentence observations!

Hope this helps! I use it as the old P scale and highlight as i have planned for and date if i have seen the child actually doing the deed so to say. The large box is for evidence using short/instant/spontanious obs. If there is any long obs i link the date on to the large box.

Regards

Pussycatdoll

Thank you so much Pussycatdoll for posting these. They have given me some examples to show my team and hopefully inspire them to create something similar. They look so user friendly and beautifully presented :D

Thanks Helen. My concern at the moment is that staff are just observing for the sake of observing and arent capturing the meaningful achievements they make. I have recently done a training session with the whole team to explain the purpose of the learning journey and focused on quality not quantity. I would rather see 1 page of quality photos, work products and observations than 10 pages of one sentence observations!

It is a tricky one, isn't it? I think modelling great observations is the main way you can influence staff- maybe even organising a board with photos of the children and "group" obs comments- just to give your staff some vocabulary and sentences/phrases that are meaningful rather than "The children had a lovely time in the garden!".....eg "The children used the construction kits to work out a way of helping teddy cross the river. They concentrated very hard and built a sturdy bridge for him."

• Like 1

It is a tricky one, isn't it? I think modelling great observations is the main way you can influence staff- maybe even organising a board with photos of the children and "group" obs comments- just to give your staff some vocabulary and sentences/phrases that are meaningful rather than "The children had a lovely time in the garden!".....eg "The children used the construction kits to work out a way of helping teddy cross the river. They concentrated very hard and built a sturdy bridge for him."

Thanks for the tips Helen, I really appreciate it. During the training session I gave them each a copy of a "Meaningful Observation" document produced by a Kindergartern in Queensland. I thought it was very useful and really made us all consider the way we write our observations. Here it is if anyone is interested:

http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/early_middle/qklg_pd_mod4_exp2_doc_observ.pdf

I have banned the word "enjoy" for a while as I want them to be objective and factual. We don't know for sure that the children are necessarily enjoying or having a lovely time!!

• Like 3

We've banned that word too!! it has actually helped them to express what they have seen much better as in the How? Why? and what it meant in terms of learning

Sorry doesn't really help with your original question of inspirational journals - I'm watching this with interest also!

Thanks for the tips Helen, I really appreciate it. During the training session I gave them each a copy of a "Meaningful Observation" document produced by a Kindergartern in Queensland. I thought it was very useful and really made us all consider the way we write our observations. Here it is if anyone is interested:

http://www.qsa.qld.e..._doc_observ.pdf

I have banned the word "enjoy" for a while as I want them to be objective and factual. We don't know for sure that the children are necessarily enjoying or having a lovely time!!

Thank you for that link :1b

I have tried to ban the word enjoy too :blink:

Thank you for that link :1b

I have tried to ban the word enjoy too :blink:

I was quite blunt with my staff and said to them to describe what they can see. How do they know the child is enjoying themselves. Are they smiling, laughing, telling you????? So far so good. Now just to work on the depth of the observations!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)