Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Plan?

Another post about planning!!! Have been looking at everyones planning formats on here that have been kindly shared and am amazed at how different they all are. After spending a lot of time in the sumer tweaking and revising our formats I am now ok with them. Just wanted to know how everyone fills theirs out. I have sat down to do my basic weekly plan for next week and had a complete blank and a real downer about the way we fill them out. Do you use the developmental statements as your learning intention (word for word) or do you use your own language?

I think I am losing my marbles and may have done far too much paperwork and looked at far to many planning formats and information on here during the last six weeks!!! I am reaching for the wine bottle as we speak!!

• Like 1

we put the focus activities into the prime/specific areas on planning sheet either across week or on specific days, but we don't add any 'DM,s' as the planned activity/resource could cover so many, we then use a diff highlighter for each term to show which dm's are covered and can see if we are missing any....if that makes sense

• Like 1

We plan Literacy and Numeracy separately and then have a Foundation plan for everything else. Though deep down know that this should all be incorporated into one main plan for the week.

Out TA's then know exactly what they are doing and anyone coming in can see what it happening. (I hope!)

We always provide the continuous provision with the Water and Sand / Paints in our outdoor area.

When we have students in I plan with the DMs, just so they learn to appreciate the broad range of things that each activity could encompass. It helps them to learn to look and listen properly to the learning going on around them

Think we have had very different students Cait, most of ours don't engage with the children although they have had an induction and been shown how to interact in the various areas. We are finding a lot of students think childcare is a doss around and get a bit of a rude awakening when they join us! :blink:

• Like 1

Another post about planning!!! Have been looking at everyones planning formats on here that have been kindly shared and am amazed at how different they all are. After spending a lot of time in the sumer tweaking and revising our formats I am now ok with them. Just wanted to know how everyone fills theirs out. I have sat down to do my basic weekly plan for next week and had a complete blank and a real downer about the way we fill them out. Do you use the developmental statements as your learning intention (word for word) or do you use your own language?

I think I am losing my marbles and may have done far too much paperwork and looked at far to many planning formats and information on here during the last six weeks!!! I am reaching for the wine bottle as we speak!!

Hi ZigZag, I'm kind of in the same boat. Would you mind sharing your planning please? It would be nice to see how you've done yours.
  • Like 1

Ok, we used to plan in a different way and it never flowed and felt quite right. I downloaded some forms from a very kind person on here (Thank you) and this is what we are doing at the moment. We are just trying this to see how it works and will make any changes we need to to make it work for us. I still do not know after all these years, ofsted inspections and quality improvement visits if this planning is 100% right!!! All I know is our children are really happy, always active and busy and have loads of fun. Would love to hear your comments (good or bad)

WEEKLY PLANNING.docxWEEKLY PLANNING.doc

Hi Zigzag, I too have had many years in EYFS but always worry about planning and change it and swap it and get even more grey hairs!!!!. But you said it all "All I know is our children are really happy, always active and busy and have loads of fun". And of course they will learn so much because they are safe, happy and valued. What more could they want . Try not to get too bogged down with paperwork, and focus on what we are there for, spending QUALITY TIME with OUR SPECIAL LITTLE LEARNERS!!!!!!!

Dont work too hard, but most of all ENJOY everything that you do. No matter what - we are all FAB IN FOUNDATION!!!!!

xxx

Cait all our equipment is avaliable to children to access whatever they want, whenever they want it, but we will put something out each morning from that area. If they dont want to play with it something soon takes its place!! We have just lost all our older children to school and now have a large group of very young children again so my planning reflects this. My planning back in July was totally different. obviously now we really are back to basics.

BevL thanks for your words of wisdom!

Ok, we used to plan in a different way and it never flowed and felt quite right. I downloaded some forms from a very kind person on here (Thank you) and this is what we are doing at the moment. We are just trying this to see how it works and will make any changes we need to to make it work for us. I still do not know after all these years, ofsted inspections and quality improvement visits if this planning is 100% right!!! All I know is our children are really happy, always active and busy and have loads of fun. Would love to hear your comments (good or bad)

ZigZag this is the same as ours, the only other thing I put on is children's initials next to the resource/activity if it is for a particular child either their next step or a child's request (we are total packaway so not everything is out everyday)

Hi Zigzag,

I too have been doing this for years and planning has always been the thing that I lose the most sleep over! Especialy as you say after many ofsteds and Aquire's etc. Its nice to know that someone else feels my pain :rolleyes:. Its great at long last to see that someone else does theirs the same way I do! Thank you so much for sharing, I will try not to worry too much in future. But with the changes occuring it's not easy!! We're a pack away setting so I try to keep things as organised and simple as I can.

Edited by pirates

• 1 month later...

I work In a reception class which has 2 literacy focus activities in the morning on a Tuesday and Friday and 2 focus maths activities on mon and thurs and a different focus activity in the afternoon which is about the other areas as there is only a teacher and a a ta where we share the focus activity I think we miss out massively on the good fresh learning of ci, I was wondering what everyone else had to think what about 3 focuses over a week? How does everyone do it? Your help would be great thank you

Thought I'd nailed it this week....even typed it all out nice and clear....for all to see and understand!

NOW, after reading this, Ive not just lost my marbles, but the will to live!

Going to go back to the old way.........Blindfold my Manager, put a pin in her hand, spin her round 3 times........

.............and Bingo! We all have a Great Day! : )

• Like 4

my advisor said doing too much - its all about observation planning and evaluation - I give up its the way we used to do it a hundred years ago >>>>>>>>>>>>.......................... plan for continious planning and with children's initials and carry on forward -

My questions is why have learning intentions if you do not have to use them for targets on a weekly/monthly bases- why not state they form the long term goal and work around them. ..........................

going to buy fish for the tank

do you all fill in your planning for the whole week ahead or daily? I try and do ours weekly as I feel that how can you be prepared and sorted for the week ahead if your continuely thinking about what to provide. Our planning sheet is very similar to zigzags but we have a spontaneous box at the bottom for those spare of the moment things that pop up. We also have another sheet for adult-led activities for the week.

i've been struggling to get my head round my planning since Septemeber, I'm going to try these planning formats. I've been feeling somewhat disorganised hopefully these will get me on the right track.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)