Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents!

Aghhhh! Why oh why don't people contact you to let you know that they no longer need a space for their child or want to delay their start. I sent 50 letters out a few weeks ago to tell people about our new nursery open day and to ask them to confirm they needed a place. I made it as easy as possible asking them to email, which i know lots of parents prefer to do, or phone.

I had about 20 replies so I have spent the last few days phoning people up, most have said they were coming and it was on their list of things to do, 2 aren't coming now and one's delaying til he's funded. This is all while we are setting up the rooms, doing settling in sessions for babies next week, getting environmental health in to give us advice about setting up the kitchen, sorting out the risk assessments planning, new eyfs..........

At least OFSTED were easy, they were there for 50 minutes to register us!

Open day on saturday, with a handful starting next week, the majority are starting the week after, phew.. going to need a holiday after this.

• Like 2

I always think the ones who delay the start are the worst, they tend to delay, then change their minds then change it back again and then finally when they are due to start they change their minds again and go somewhere different. All in a days work, keep smiling :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I always think the ones who delay the start are the worst, they tend to delay, then change their minds then change it back again and then finally when they are due to start they change their minds again and go somewhere different. All in a days work, keep smiling :rolleyes:

agreed...or stay with you and become a nightmare!

I had one booked a full time place, 9 till 3 every day, so she got priority for booking a place and when I contacted her at Easter to confirm the child was still starting she told me she just wanted three full days now. Ok, so register altered and letters went out to everyone starting in September at the end of June, and she texted me to say she now wanted just mornings till 11.30. Now I find that she's only with us till Christmas!!! I could scream, I have turned two families away because of this child. Because she's cancelled in dribs and drabs, places have been filled with no problem, but if she'd been honest from the start I could have accommodated at least on other child at least! So annoying. I have altered our booking form to ask how long a child is going to be with us now. Quite frankly sh wouldn't have had a place just for one term as its ridiculous - unfair for the child and for us!

You always seem to get one that thinks you,re only there to meet their needs at the drop of a hat, had one that wanted a day we didn't have space (having already chopped and changed goodness knows how many times, even changing days before a half term break, just to turn up on original day after half term 'as it didn't suit to change anymore' gggrrrrrrr) she then wanted a list of all my parents and contacts so she could phone and ask if anyone would swap, And really couldn't understand why I wouldn't give her it !!!!

• Like 1

I always used to find actually printing anything with a child's name on was the cue parents needed to decide they didn't need the place - not to let me know though!