Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Fruit Scheme

Anone know how I can join the free fruit scheme for my school? I have read about it on the NHS web but there isn't any info on how to register.

Sarah

I asked about it ages ago when it first came in - can't remember who I asked thought think it was someone from the LA - free fruit is only for maintained schools was what I was told - this archived link explains - as ever early years provision is not a level playing field.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publichealth/Healthimprovement/FiveADay/FiveADaygeneralinformation/DH_4002149

Anone know how I can join the free fruit scheme for my school? I have read about it on the NHS web but there isn't any info on how to register.

Sarah

I coordinate the Free Fruit and Veg scheme at my school. Mostof my info is at schoo, but I do tend to do eamils for numbers etc from home, so you could try emailing sfvs@pasa.nhs.uk or SFVS@supplychain.nhs.uk

We joined the scheme in 2003 and I took over running it in 2005, so not sure how up to date the info is. If it doesn't worklet me know and I'll contact our supplier to see what you need to do.

Thanks. I've emailed the scheme so fingers crossed will get a reply so I qualify from sept. the milk is free for those under 5 I think as my daughter wasn't entitled as she is an oldie in her year group. I also think schools who have a high percentage of free school meals are entitled to free milk. my old school was in an area of socio Eco deprivation and the children from nursery to year 2 got milk daily.

My new school, even tho is a state school is a voluntary aided school, so don't think I will qualify. The old teacher used to collect money from the parents and do her own shopping, but have been advised against this as it leaves me quite vulnerable dealing with cash. I will just have to put it to the parents that they can bring a piece of fruit to school for snack as the rest of the school. But will feel mean if some chn don't have one. I think a mid morning snack at such a young age is crucial-I know I can't survive until lunch without one!!

the other way you could do it is ask parents for donations of fruit each day to use for snack, have a bowl they can put it into then share it out at snack time.. nto all need contribute, those who want to can, and all children will get something.. it is the way many preschools operate.. we did.. parents often noticed the bowl was empty and would bring in a bag of apples..if not we asked them for it..

My new school, even tho is a state school is a voluntary aided school, so don't think I will qualify. The old teacher used to collect money from the parents and do her own shopping, but have been advised against this as it leaves me quite vulnerable dealing with cash. I will just have to put it to the parents that they can bring a piece of fruit to school for snack as the rest of the school. But will feel mean if some chn don't have one. I think a mid morning snack at such a young age is crucial-I know I can't survive until lunch without one!!

I think that you need to investigate this as I know that Voluntary Aided Schools are eligible in the same way as maintained schools for the free fruit scheme. As far as parents paying for snack there is no reason why you can'do that in a school as long as the money goes through the schools books and is audited.

I think that you need to investigate this as I know that Voluntary Aided Schools are eligible in the same way as maintained schools for the free fruit scheme. As far as parents paying for snack there is no reason why you can'do that in a school as long as the money goes through the schools books and is audited.

Thanks-will investigate this. The issue with parents paying is that the old teacher would collect the money and keep it herself to go and do the shopping weekly so wasn't passed thro books. If I can't get free fruit, I need to set up a system that means I don't ave to get fruit - I haven't got the time!

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)