Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent 'wow' Moment Comments For Learning Journals

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any fab new ideas about how to encourage parents to note the 'wow' moments they see their child displaying which would then be added to their learning journals. I have the old ideas like leaves on a tree etc... but was wondering if anyone had any interesting ideas for inspiration? :D

Thanks.

We have a 'Wow!' wall where parents and staff write comments on special slips and make a good display. These are loaded up onto the forum somewhere, if you are interested I'll do a search. Ofsted really liked it and parents enjoy adding things to it. When a new slip goes up, the old one is filed in the learning journey file

• Like 3

We use fluorescent starburst type cards so parents can feed in WOW moments at any time. We give them out each half term with a half termly newletter and encourage them to contribute and then during the rest of term time there is a basket in the entrance with blank WOW flashes for them to fill out. It took a while to get going but it is embedded into practice now - some parents contribute more than others but we do try to encourage them all to "celebrate" what their children do outside the setting be it going on a trip, going round a friends to play, dressing themselves etc.

• Like 1

We also 'borrowed' Cait's fantastic idea of the Wow! wall a while ago; and it has been borrowed by several friends since.

Because of the cost of ink when we print the vouchers for the parents, I have typed the Wow! and the child's name on white paper with black as the 'original' kept in the child's file. We then copy the vouchers on coloured paper - sometimes giving the child a chance to choose their favourite colour.

Hi,

we are in the process of sending out some 'Wow' cards to each parent. These have individual comments on perhaps relating to the child's next steps they are trying to achieve. They are designed by their key person and have a sticker attached for the parent to give their child at home. Could be anything .i.e 'I counted to 5 today! Wow!'

will let you know the feedback when we get them back.

• Like 1

I send out a sheet of 6 Wow moments on an A4 sheet for parents to complete for those special moments. The children then bring them back to class and we share them at show and tell times each day, and the child is rewarded with a team point and a class cheer-great for self esteem. Any Wow moment that is sensitive eg Matthew was dry all night is put straight into the child's learning journey without publicity! The children had also asked for their own Wow moments so we devised one for them to complete themselves (on diffferent coloured paper but the same idea as their parent one).

My child\'s WOW.doc

Edited by Guest

we give our parents an A4 sheet with the word WOW printed in the middle at the end of each half term and ask them to fill it with interesting things the child has done/can do, when it's brought back we talk about it with the children and it's then put in their 'special book'.

we also have a wow board which staff add comments to.

I have a tray with star shaped post it notes in them. I encourage the parents to come in and find their child's star (A larger white star which is on a display board, child's name underneath, with a couple of inspirational poems above it) they stick post its on their child's star then I stick them onto my parents page in the learning journeys at the end of the term. I read our stars out at the end of the week to celebrate the children's achievements. Seems popular and as I leave the stars up their is an element of parental competition to see who has the most stars lol.

• 1 month later...

Hello again kazz, you are welcome. I have amended them this year to use less ink, so they are a colour border star and not filled in. If you want those, and can't manage to amend this one, just shout and I'll upload the new version

Edited by Cait

Hello again kazz, you are welcome. I have amended them this year to use less ink, so they are a colour border star and not filled in. If you want those, and can't manage to amend this one, just shout and I'll upload the new version

Hi Cait, please would it be possible to upload your new version ? Thank you so much for everything you share on here, i am quite new to all this planning and observation and still trying to get my head round everything, but thanks to yourself and other wonderful people on here, i am slowly starting to understand how to update all the planning and observations for my setting. Thank you all sooooooooo much........(i am sure i will still be asking many questions though !!!!!!)

Aww thank you Cait. I am rubbish with doing anything technical :wacko: . Many thanks. I had never even heard of WOW moments until i found it on this forum and i personally think it is a lovely yet simple way of involving the parents to contribute to their childs learning journeys whilst giving us useful information about their child.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)