Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Boys, Boys, Boys!

There seems to be an awful lot of very expereinced people on here so I'm hoping somebody has the answer to my problem.

I'm the teacher of a 39 place nursery, staffing wise there is is me and 2 nursery nurses and a very mixed group of just 3 to nearly 5 year olds!

We are having a massive problem with our boys, especially a group 6 of the older ones. They are so violent and disruptive! The best way I can describe them is a pack of puppies, jumping on top of each other and play fighting continously! They don't seem to respond to any of the strategies we have put in place so far, we give lots of postive praise, have an outside area with lots of large physical oppertunities and plan the vast majorities of our focus activities to suit their needs.

We have spoken to parents, introduced positive behavior systems, stamps in a book, and have a thinking spot for time out when they have had warnings and still continuing.

The only way we can have any impact is playing alongside the boys on a one to one or paired situation, but there simply aren't enough staff to do so, and wat about the other 30 chilren, who are always well behaved, including the crying new starters and the ones who wet themselves on a regular basis? When do they get our time.

I worry the issue simply is too many children in one space with not enough adults but I have fought and fought on this matter and have got nowhere with my head, Nursery children are worth a lot of money!!

Any ideas,please!!!!!

hate to say it moonshine but i think you have answered your own question...are you a school nursery? only i would normally say that you are not working to ratio with 3 of you and 39 children (13 for you and 8 for each NN would work out at 29 for the 3 staff). i think 13 each when they are just 3 is just too much. as to engaging boys things that have worked for us recently...a monster project (making/designing/being etc) gruffalo project and lots of treasure hunts.also a big fovourite of using carpet tubes for all sorts of activities...good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks, I love the monsters ideas for my little monsters! We are a school nursery and so we work with the 1 to 13 ratio because of the level of qualification of my NN. Will just keep trying!

OMG - my staff think their hard done by with 25 children to 4 staff. I don't know how you cope. You must go home grey.

I have just been on the jabadao training and they talk about this type of behaviour that children need to express. Maybe you could have a certain area that they can do this. We have ordered some of the Jabadao resources and aim to have a physical area (wish us luck). This needs to be limited to maybe 3 at a time and shoes taken off.

They are like puppies / kitten really and as long as they want to take part and no one is getting hurt. Is there any harm.

I had three boys in our quiet room the other day, tidying up the boxes that they had emptied all over the floor. They got bored with that, so started play fighting. I kept one eye on them as i tidyed. No one got hurt and one sat down on the seatee after a while and said 'that was fun' It did seem to get it out of their system.

• Like 1

Ditto OMG. I cannot get my head around a qualification enabling that kind of ratio! I wouldnt/ couldnt if I ould...if you get my drift!

Yes boys will be boys, and every summer term our lovely little lads who are off to school ( hurrah ) turn into little beasties who use any resource they can to clobber one another with!! I'm going to look up that jabadeo training, it sounds baaadd, the'll love it! : )

There's the unfairness of ratios for schools for you...39 children = 3 staff.

but this is down to the headteachers catma...maintained settings get more funding perchild than we do and only have to allocate rent/heat /light costs per class room in their budgets to this class...in my mind this smacks of being greedy and not putting the needs of the children first

• Like 1

oohps sorry moonshine gone off topic a bit there....have you looked at alistairs blog?

http://www.abcdoes.typepad.com/

lots of info on engaging boys (he also does a book on it)

Having been boy heavy again this year i have started to think more like a boy (difficult when i like the girly things in life and have two girls of my own!).

I would suggest trying to get some male influence into the classroom if poss (dads/grandads boys on work experience??) then watch the way they play with the boys and copy it!

i am lucky to have a group of boys from a local school who come in and play , they play in a different way with them its fascinating...one of them created a viaduct with the brio set ...something i have never thought off, another created a fantastic police car out of a veg box...brilliant!

actually the veg boxes are also a favourite activity ..(take one cardboard veg box, supermarkets are happy to give them to you, turn it upside down and cut a large oval in the 'top' then you can create any sort of car you like. when the children want to use them they slide inside the oval and then put their hands on the outside edge to hold them...hope that makes sense??!!)

I know that I've read that boys get a 'boost' of testosterone at the age of 4 - almost double 'normal' levels' - and this gives them a lot of extra energy which they expend through boisterous play. Its really important to let them be as active as possible and channel their energies into activities which help them to work through these physical feelings that they can't control. You will be onto a losing battle if you try to stop them and engage them in sedentary activities.

I think it helps to realise that the problem lies with changes in their bodies, rather than any failing on your part to instil 'good' behaviour. :1b

Thanks everyone, it's so frustrating! Ultimately I know that we are doing all we can and providing the experiences and resources that these boys to need thrive and develop, but without enough of the most valuable resource of all, passionate and

Knowledgable staff, we are fighting a loosing battle.

What are the ratios in other 39 place school nurserys? Am I alone in this predicament ?

Soooo glad it's Friday!

What are the ratios in other 39 place school nurserys? Am I alone in this predicament ?

That is the statutory ratio. Which remains unchanged in the new eyfs framework.

Nursery classes in maintained schools 1:13 of which 1 must be a QT

Reception classes 1:30 under the infant class size legislation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)