Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ipad In Early Years

I'm with Cait "my precious" is just that "MY PRECIOUS" - however I have all my calendars and diaries synchronised on it and have uploaded the revised EYFS documentation and various other pdfs that I find useful - it certainly saves carting around a bag of gubbins!

Have a couple of child centered apps such as NORAD's Track Santa and Stargazer (needed to explain about the space station and the stars) but that's about it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses. I have my own 'precious' but am thinking of putting in a case to the committee to purchase one for the Pre-sch. I was looking at the eyfs simple app and thought if this works, fantastic! Just wondered if anyone else is using it on a daily basis. Would love to hear what you use Becks.

Technology moves so quickly and just wondered how advance some setting are with it too.

Interested to hear your thought and experiences.

I'm not nursery but what I plan to do with one, when I'm allowed to, is to load up pictures of all the different toys and activities available but not necessarily on show. Children can then choose what they would like out (if not right away but soon). THEN what I'd like to do in dream-on world, is be able to print out all the learning opportunities attached to said toys or activities.

I really think the tablet format would be great for that.

Honey

• Like 2

Hi have taken my ipad into the pre-school and the children were like bees round a honey pot!....I could just about see what was going on with so many hands on board....so you could say it was popular!!

I have some great apps...mostly free or very cheep. I will list afew next post. They are great for covering ict, simple maths, listening skills and making choices......but form an orderly queue .......PLEEEASE!

• Like 1

Here we go....most popular at my gig are CookieDoodle, Splingo, 1-10 balloons and Intro to Math...some of the apps hve been great for sensory appeal with our additional needs children :)

Please can you tell me where to find these, and whether they are free

found them! any free ones that are any good?

Edited by Cait

Please can you tell me where to find these, and whether they are free

found them! any free ones that are any good?

cannot remenber if all these are free but found these under Sound: Pulsate and Soundrop ( they do what it says on the box!) and under special educational needs and sensory: Go Bubbles Lite. Gloop. Sounds and Together are fun interactive apps if you dont mind the 'americanisms'!

• 3 months later...

Hi we use ipads in our foundation classes a lot and our children love them. We invested in cases called otterboxes i think, which help ensure the screens don't get damaged or scratched. There's lots of really useful apps out there but it is a case or trial and error as to which ones are useful to you. my recommendation is if possible try the free version of apps first to see whether you like them. off the top of my head a good app for letter formation is hairy letters which is a favourite with our children. Also a firm fave is the toca boca games which our foundation children find very amusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Did somebody say they had 60 ipads! WOW.. wouldn't we just love that kind of funding in private nurseries! We would be stretched to purchase 1 or 2 ipads.. and it would actually be enough!

I think there are cheaper android tablets about, which you can do pretty much the same on.. yes not as good, but good enough. DO NOT bother with the very cheap china imported ones.. ( i have one i tested ) they are very hard to operate.

I can picture children's desks of the future (or present in some cases) with a pop up from the desk at an angle ipad at every "work station" with the most amazing apps to choose from.. now that would be GREAT!!