Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Antiseptic Cream In First Aid Box ?

fimbo

we have never had 'savlon' in our first aid box, and as far as i can remember our first aid trainer advised not to. Can anyone point me to something i can print off for the commitee -or are we now allowed antiseptic creams ?

i assume the risk of allergies /cross contamination etc are the reasons why we dont have it -we were also told all we could do to wounds /grazes was to gently clean , not to apply creams or 'poke about' (!!)

but -my commitee now want me to have savlon or germolene in the kit.

No we don't have either in our kit, don't know where it's written down but I think you're right about cross contamination etc.

Perhaps if individual parents feel strongly about it they could supply a tube in a named bag for their child having completed a medicine form?

Hi well i have just googled to see what should be in a childcare setting first aid kit and it most definetly has no antiseptic creams.

My staff and i are updating our first aid certificates next week so will ask that question for you and get back to you. :1b

We have antiseptic wipes which come in individual sachets to clean a wound I cannot see any reason for savlon or germalene.

debbie

it is not only cross contamination but even more about allergies.. even if they have used it before there is no guarantee there will not be a reaction next time it is used... and if there is who holds responsibility for causing it.. could a parent come back and complain to the setting about it.. even if they have given permission.. and reaction could be more than a rash.

once had a parents who used it on their child and ended up in casualty because of the swelling it caused.

can honestly say never used either for my very accident prone constantly scraped daredevil of a son.. and he has survived very well ..

We were told by the paramedic who did our fist aid course that savlon just causes the germs to breed under the layer of cream and it shouldnt be used. I dont have it written down though.

Wash with warm water and leave to dry, a plaster to keep it clean but other than that nothing.

Edited by Rea

We were told by the paramedic who did our fist aid course that savlon just causes the germs to breed under the layer of cream and it shouldnt be used. I dont have it written down though.

Wash with warm water and leave to dry, a plaster to keep it clean but other than that nothing.

Have to agree with you there, was told exactly the same information on my recent first aid course.

Fimbo, you are Manager aren't you? Surely then as Manager the day to day running of the setting including the fist aid box is down to you? I cant think why a committee would get involved, apart form checking that you had one and the correct items in it, with the first aid box. They obviously haven't checked what should and shouldn't be in it.

I did check with HSE site... seems there is no set contents or amounts for any first aid kit, but up to the individual work place to decide on contents relevant to the work being done, they do have a suggested list, none of which contain any creams, may be worth exploring that site..

( just because it is in there though doesn't mean you have to use it... I may have given my objections and state why I was not happy, have it recorded somewhere in their notes and put it in writing I was not happy as the designated trained first aider so they were really sure of my feelings but if they insisted, put it in, but never use it.. or only put it in when they decide to look in the box.. how are they to know unless they check every incident and the box regularly.. anything to keep the peace.. and when they leave dispose of it again, next committee will never know!)

• Like 2

I would have to agree that Paediatric first aid courses advise against it in settings mainly because of possible allergies. If you want to include it within your first aid box as you feel it is useful to have, then just simply gain parental permission to use it, much like a sun cream permission form.

cant get the link to work but if you link to pre-med health care and look up.....

British Standard (BS-8599) Compliant First Aid kits

in the shop section you will find a great list of items suitable for your first aid kit.

Hope it might help!

Edited by finleysmaid

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)