Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Speech Assessment - Do You Have One?

I KNOW that somewhere on my computer I have an assessment chart for a child's speech sounds. It gives a word that a child says and you note alongside the word what the child actually said so that you can assess progress. You do the assessment 3 times on the one sheet over a period of time. Can I find the bloomin thing? Can I billy-oh!

I'd be very grateful if someone out there has one!

WOW Cait they are just brill but why do I feel sooooooo guilty having just downloaded them (and knowing they will be put to good use). You give so much to us all not only in terms of sharing resources but your fantastic wisdom time and time again. The one time you ask for help I was scrapping around trying and failing miserably!

• Like 1

Both welcome! I'll start on the other word lists. These are the two I was needing specifically at the moment - I'll work my way throught the others and post them too.

I think the 'recording' column had space for at least a couple of terms so I'll amend that and pop them on again when I do the other letters.

Right, here's 'K' as well and the other two with two assessment date opportunities.

I don't write the whole word in the box, just the appropriate sound the child makes, so if the word is 'cat' and the child says 'tat' I put 't' in the box. If it's smoething really bizzarre - for example 'gawaywin' for 'penguin' I asterisk and write that on the back

CH sound speech word list.pdf

F sound speech word list.pdf

K sound speech word list.pdf

G sound speech word list.pdf

Edited by Cait
  • Like 4

These are fab!

We have a ECAT grid to highlight with age levels on. It has to be done twice, 3 months apart before a referral to SLT. Not sure if that would be any use to anyone?

I've got that one too, and use it, but this is for a specific child I'm monitoring with speech sounds, thanks

Had a look on the website you recommended and noticed that the speech sounds info goes from 36 months to 4 years old. What about from 3 to 4? Do you use the 36 month one?

I use these with my pre-reception group, so they are age 3 - 4, but there's no reason why you can't do it with younger children, just as a methos of recording any difficulties. I don't do EVERY word in one go, that would be boring for the child, so I might do the first 5 in each column one week and then another 5 and so on. Just depending on the child really

Ta. I don't think I explained myself very well. What I meant was if the child is 3 and a half, for example, do you use the chart for words up to 3, even though they are older than that or do you use the one for 4 years and above even though they are not that old yet? Does that make sense?!

Ah I see. I don't really go by the age so much, as I find that several children with speech difficulties are often operating under the age band too, due to lack of speech confidence. I'm mainly just assessing and noting down the sounds they are making, like 'tat' for 'cat' etc and this helps with my planning for what is needed.

These are fantastic Cait, well done!

My son is being referrered for Speech and Language therapy on the basis that he is sometimes difficult to understand when he speaks. The nursery use the ECAT sheets and have him as expected for the first three sections, ahead for the fourth and they are now struggling for evidence for the speech part although they have him at 22-36 months, so thank you once again.

Sorry meant to say have posted the ECAT charts that we use. The record sheet you fill in when a child has so you can see if they are completely at the right stage or just emerging if any one a fuller description PM me and I'll try a better explanation.

Steph

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)