Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Word Headers & Footers

SueFinanceManager

Ok all you wise ones out there.....Headers & Footers!!!

I create page one of a document and put a header on....looks very nice but I only want it on page one!

I get to bottom of page and continue to type on page 2 and flippin header pops up....uninvited xD

I try to click in header bit to remove header on page 2 and it goes but when I look at page 1 it has gone from there too :( :( :(

So oh wise ones.....anyone have a simple instruction to help me have only the header on page 1 that doesn't include me creating a completely separate word document for page 2,3, 4 etc.....

I hate technology sometimes :o

Im not sure you can do this in Word although Im sure much more talented peeps than me will know for sure. I think by definition header and footers are there to appear on each page?

If you only want it one page can you either

type in what you want in the main body of text

or

create your first page as a cover page?

Im not sure you can do this in Word although Im sure much more talented peeps than me will know for sure. I think by definition header and footers are there to appear on each page?

If you only want it one page can you either

type in what you want in the main body of text

or

create your first page as a cover page?

I thought it was just me being thick so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has been frustrated by headers and footers.

Hi

If you only want a header on the first page then type is as normal and you can click on a format button that says 'different first page' and that will do it!

Hope this makes sense, there are so many different editions of word!

Yep - in my current version (2007) once you've clicked 'Insert header (or footer)' a new tab comes up at the top of the page called 'Header & Footer tools' right in the middle of this is a tick box for Different first page.

In older versions of Word I think you can find it when you click on the page set up button (looks like an open book) on the header/footer toolbar.

If you search 'Help' for Different first page header though it should give you fairly clear instructions for whatever your version of Word is.

I've managed to do it for new documents but not for old... I keep having the Scout group logo on every page of the minutes when I only want it on the first. Still have said no way what so ever am I being secretary or chairman after this year's AGM so it will be someone else's problem after May!

If you are using word then the following procedure should help

When you get to the bottom of the first page you need to insert a next page section break. This is different from just putting in an ordinary page break. In my version of word this is under the page layout tab.

The header/footer from page 1 will carry over however when on page 2 you edit the header/footer by double left clicking on it you will see that it says header/footer section 2.

At the top of the screen you will see an option that says "Link to previous". Click on this option to unlink your headers/footers.

Change the header/footer to what you want or delete out your text if you don't want anything. Return to the document by double left clicking the document page outside the header.

If you use this method you can have as many headers/footers throughout your document as you want. This is particularly useful if you are writing assignments with chapters where the chapters all need to have different headers and footers.

Hope that helps