Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre Writing And Writing Skills

Hi

I always feel a bit nervous about posting about this topic!

I would like to make some kind of list or some info to give to parents to encourage them to support their child's pre writing skills before getting them to write their name. We try our hardest to encourage parents that children do not have to be writing their name before going to school and inform them of the things we do in the setting.

Is there a publication I could refer too? or ideas that anyone has.

Also for me in the setting some children are at the stage when they want to write their name and are capable in doing so. How can I encourage this further?

I would just like some inspiration Please.

Hi skippy. Please dont feel nervous about posting, many of us have asked the same quetion at some point.

Have you seen the early Education learning together leaflets, available here

They are quite text heavy, so they may not suit any parents who have literacy difficulties, but maybe give you a starting point.

Before they can start to write they need to develop core body strength to enable their shoulders and arms, elbows and writs to perform the functions they need. At this point, would it be profitable to encourage the parents to be doing some gross motor activities with their children? Throwing and catching, waving ribbons about etc.

Thank you Mundia, sunnyday and Cait for your replies.

I/we do leap into life and lots of gross physical play/activities and are really good at promoting this. But its fine tuning the other.

I do keep harping on to parents the importance of the big movements to build strength. But thought as writing can be a hot topic I wanted to be able to advise parents correctly, maybe through a flyer or booklet giving them ideas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)