Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff 'sickness'

I have had a situation today that I am not sure how to handle. A member of staff rang in sick saying that she had earache and that she was going to see her GP. Later in the evening I saw her in the supermarket with her husband doing a shop and then on facebook she told everyone she had been to look at new houses, 10minutes later she rang to say that she would not be in tomorrow as she was on antibiotics and felt really ill. I mentioned that I'd seen her in the supermarket and she said she was collecting her prescription. Should I feel as though I am being taken for a ride or should I just ignore this? and how should I handle it when she comes back to work on thursday? She will not get paid for time off so she is the one losing money but it has been inconvenient for us at work, I'm not sure if making a fuss will acheive anything as she is usually a very reliable member of staff and prehaps I should not be taking this so personally.

I'm not really sure how I'd handle this! Although I always thought that being unfit for work wasn't necessarily the same as being unfit to do anything else..... however if she's publicised the fact that she's been out looking at houses then I'd tackle her about this!

Good luck!

I too think being for to work and being able to go out are too different things.. she was with her husband who was able to support her, time out need not be long a lot different ot looking after children..

house hunting, could have been planned out of normal work hours again a lot less stress and supported -

must admit ear infections throw me off totally, get poor balance and dizzy spells, which when out with husband know I can sit and manage but could never work with it..

I would comment about what I knew, hope she feels better and did she find a house she liked... perhaps asking if she needs time off planned for house hunting and would be willing to find cover for her shifts if she gave enough notice..

I would agree with Inge, ear infections are horrid and on this occasion, if its out of character I would give the benefit of the doubt. At your back to work interview next week, you can ask how she is, how the house hunting is going, acknowledging that house hunting can be quite stressful etc etc.

If it isn't genuine and there is another issue, you might find that your open and honest conversation with her, which expresses concern for her well being may well bring any other issues out into the open.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but monitor the situation. I personally think if they'd been pulling the wool over your eyes then they wouldnt post the details about house etc. (unless they were really stupid and I wouldnt have though any of us would employ someone that daft).

If she had got an ear infection the also having them at work could be a health & safety issue especially if their balance was affected...just think how many forms you would have to fill in for a squashed child!.....eek doesnt bear thinking about).

you said yourself..normally reliable....if theyre moving house then they maybe under a lot of stress and that can affect ones health....

fingers crossed its all above board!

Although I do agree with the others and if this is out of character then I would casually mention it and give her the benefit of the doubt However I have always been of the thought that if you're too sick to go to 'school' then you're too sick to go anywhere else!!