Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fees And Illness

Hi all,

I am faced with a great problem at the moment, a parent is going through a terrible illness at the moment without saying much it is really bad. The problem is their child comes to the nursery fulltime, but with one income they are finding it difficult to pay fees. I have and others have contacted various bodies, but the same answer cuts no money. I have informed them that the fees is rising and they have to come to a decison, felt really bad, because the child coming to the nursery is a respite for both parents, and also child had SEN, which we get help for. Felt really bad telling Dad, he might have to withdraw child, up till now they were good payers, but i have a responsibility towards the business, and telling them the situation. :o

Hi all,

I am faced with a great problem at the moment, a parent is going through a terrible illness at the moment without saying much it is really bad. The problem is their child comes to the nursery fulltime, but with one income they are finding it difficult to pay fees. I have and others have contacted various bodies, but the same answer cuts no money. I have informed them that the fees is rising and they have to come to a decison, felt really bad, because the child coming to the nursery is a respite for both parents, and also child had SEN, which we get help for. Felt really bad telling Dad, he might have to withdraw child, up till now they were good payers, but i have a responsibility towards the business, and telling them the situation. :o

in a similar situation we approached our parish council and asked them if they might help out with fees (they were happy to do so)...there may be other funding pots you could dip in to to help this family out.

Is there no funding you could access through the LEA to help this family?? Or what about any of the charities to do with the illness; for instance MacMillan will often come up with grants to help families dealing with Cancer. Or your local parish council or rotary club or social services? Or........could your setting not make an exception for this one child, even if your margins are quite tight, it offers respite for the child too if the family is so stressed. I have to say, even when my group has been struggling, I have offered free or reduced price sessions when I felt it would help a family.

I suppose it was different for us as a charity but we had a similar situation and there were 2 children with us not just the one..

The parents in our case actually said they could not afford it and were reducing the hours to the minimum and what they could afford over and above their free entitlement.. so we decided to work a compromise with them and we gave them a much reduced rate and a payment scheme so they could pay over a long period.. this allowed them to keep the place as well as not feel they were taking charity as they were paying something.. time was possible as the second child was to be with us for a full year after the first one so could be worked out over that long a period.. They too needed the break.

we have also done this with one child, free sessions in that case , and they would pay me something if they could afford it... which they did, usually something each week even if only a pound they did really want to pay..but could not afford to.

anyway you could work out a scheme of payment for them, if they have been good at paying up until now they may appreciate being able to pay over longer term.

It can be tricky when its a business with bills to pay, but I would consider whether I would be able to give this childs place to another child straight away or whether the place would be empty. If I couldnt fill it immediately I'd be inclined to let the child continue to come, it doesnt cost any extra in staff, only pence in snack and resources and it helps a family who it sounds like they need help.

Obviously if you have a waiting list and money is needed then you will have to d whats best for your business.

You could draw up a payment contract that allows a lapse now but the payments to be made when they are able, with the arrears being carried over to a time when the child might not be there anyway because of school.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, which are quite helpful and would think about reduction in the meanwhile, SS said no money, another issue is Dad comes in and complains whenever Child goes home with a bruise, he has been with us for just over two years during this period had only 5 accidents,(normal rough and tumble with other children) with only very minor bruises, the other day a had a slight and i mean a slight mark on his forehead, Dad went ballistic and was quite aggressive towards a member of staff, we have tried to put this down to issues at home, and tried to explain things to him The child in question is very boisterous, throws tantrums, shouts, hit staff and children, does this at home as well which was conformed by support workers, only calm when there is one to one interaction, we get help twice a week for 3 hours.

Thanks

think it has all been said already and some sound advice, can i just query that if you are getting assistance for 6 hours in total then that surely covers some of the fees and staff but I would try and be as supportive as possible, offering a payment plan really does help and its not just financial strain they are going through at present by the sounds of it. dad may also be reacting the way he is as he is obviuosly worried about wife and son and maybe he is worried the blame could be laid at his door ,people on the outside can make asumptions and he may just not be coping.

The support comes to the nursery we don't receive direct payment, payment plan has been suggested, but he is struggling and i know definitely has a lot on his plates, but will try and work something out. We has a nursery have been very supportive, home visits have been suggested to inform mum about child's development, monthly report so mum don't feel left out.

Thanks

The support comes to the nursery we don't receive direct payment, payment plan has been suggested, but he is struggling and i know definitely has a lot on his plates, but will try and work something out. We has a nursery have been very supportive, home visits have been suggested to inform mum about child's development, monthly report so mum don't feel left out.

Thanks

i see , we have a child who we receive funding for enabling us to give one to one support as it pays for the member of staff. sound slike you are doing all you can , and can only suggest you continue doing so for as long as you can and hoefully they will get some financial support too from somewhere , pride can be a big barrier as well as not knowing who to turn too , good luck with it all :o

Hi sorry to hear of this families difficulties and the added stress of finance. Have you tried the lions or rotary clubs they often help in situations like this. Does this family have a social worker that could access any additional funding, has a caf been done for this child.

Do you have sessions which are not full - perhaps the less popular sessions - which you could offer to this child free as you would then not be taking a place from another child. Does he receive funding so could he just come for 15 hours. WIth the history you have given, nursery is vital for the whole family. When these situations arose at my nursery we always offered a free place and usually had one child a year who was non fee paying. PLease please think very carefully before withdrawing a place for this very needy child/family.

Do you have sessions which are not full - perhaps the less popular sessions - which you could offer to this child free as you would then not be taking a place from another child. Does he receive funding so could he just come for 15 hours. WIth the history you have given, nursery is vital for the whole family. When these situations arose at my nursery we always offered a free place and usually had one child a year who was non fee paying. PLease please think very carefully before withdrawing a place for this very needy child/family.

We have always had children in for odd sessions that haven't been paid for at the discretion of the manager, & I think that's fine as long as it's recorded and management/directors/committee know it happens & vaguely who for/how much. Because my manager died suddenly last month and we're now looking at who hasn't paid for last term & don't know if any of the non-payments are due to her discretionary places. I say people should be vaguely aware as it you're a parent led preschool, not everyone should know the details, but it needs to be recorded somewhere.

This is just a real random thought but has mum or dad ever served in the armed forces? If so SSAFA may be able to help, they may even help if grandparents have served if the circumstances are dire enough; might be worth an ask?

This is what we've done too. Sometimes helps parents not feel so embarrassed - it's not costing anything to setting, not taking away a place from another paying child, etc.

Hi all

Thanks for all the advice given. I had a long chat with Dad today, we have decided on a payment plan, and l have reduced his fees, comes fulltime and pays for part time, we are a full time nursery. l also reassured him that we will support him as best as we can, we will also be making a photo album of child for him to take to hospital, to show partner. He does not have a social worker because he is not in "danger" and has adequate support at the moment, there is a CAF but we are trying to get him a social worker, but SS still insisting there is no need.

Toro, that all sounds brilliant, well done, it must be a relief for the family. I'd ask dad to keep you 'in the loop' so if things deteriorate financially, you can see what else might be done to help them. Fantastic though, I have been thinking about this little one all day xx