Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ey2 Forms Submitted Late

Hi all -

Hoping you can help a friend out with this query, as I'm not familiar with the EY2 forms and how critically they're viewed by Ofsted:

I work as a secretary in a committee run pre-school. Late November, we voted in our new committee which included new members whom were given the EY2 to complete and return. My only instruction from the setting manager was to "make sure they get posted when they're complete". I dutifully cajoled, poked and begged for them to be returned; the last of which was just before term end in December. Over Christmas I went through them all, completed missing sections and posted them off in the new year together.

Earlier this week, a rather panicked manager pulled me into the office. Apparently OFSTED have been on the phone chasing the EY2s threatening 'action plans' and 'notes on your record' as a penalty. She suggests that they should have been sent of one by one as they came back which naturally was never mentioned to me.

Has anyone got any experience of this and how seriously it might be viewed by Ofsted?

I take it none of the forms have arrived with Ofsted then.

In that event I would calmly ask them for more forms and start again. Its no use getting flustered, the forms are most likely in the Ofsted black hole we all know so well or possibly still with Royal Mail, but thats more unlikely.

I've certainly never heard of Ofsted making actions about it or making notes and I have to admit to being rather lapse on getting the forms back and then sending them off!

Did the setting tell Ofsted they had new committee members before they sent the EY2s? The last time we had new committee members Ofsted told me I didnt need to notify them of the changes but just to send the EY2s back.

Thanks Rea -

I believe Ofsted HAVE received the forms, but she saved them all up and sent them as a single batch - the problem is apparently that they should have had a list of names and dates of birth back within 14 days, whereas they actually received the whole batch of forms back when they had all been completed which took longer than 14 days.

Is this a bit of a mountain out of a molehill do you think? She's quite worried that she's messed up her manager's setting's recent Outstanding Ofsted report!

Ive never been aware of any action plans from OFSTED as a result of a missing, incomplete or late arriving EY2. As its been done now, and the forms are in, and presumably complete, then I don't really see that OFTSED can or would do anything. I cant see how it could make any difference to the current grading, as this would only result from a re inspection and I cant imagine that would be top of the list of OFTSED priorities.

I would ensure that if the secretary remains the same next year, that she is aware of the need to send them off once done, and pass that info on to the next secretary if she doesn't stay. the manager can also make a 'note to self' to inform that this is the case (assuming of course that the committee is likely to change yearly)

I wasnt aware Ofsted needed to know of committee members within 14 days! Yikes I've been later than late then. :o But as I said, the last time I phoned them they said they didnt need me to tell them of changes, just to send the EY2 forms in.

Hi we are also committee run and we certainly chase people to get the forms completed and sent off to Ofsted.

I have posted them before in a batch and they mysteriously didn't arrive and so from then on i have sent them separetly.

As for penalising and placing actions on settings for late receipt of them, this is definitely a new one on me. :o

If memory serves me right Ofsted did state at some point that they expected members of committees to have a CRB before being elected but this is unrealistic and certainly for us impossible as some people only decide to come forward at our AGM. xD

Hi we are also committee run and we certainly chase people to get the forms completed and sent off to Ofsted.

I have posted them before in a batch and they mysteriously didn't arrive and so from then on i have sent them separetly.

As for penalising and placing actions on settings for late receipt of them, this is definitely a new one on me. :o

If memory serves me right Ofsted did state at some point that they expected members of committees to have a CRB before being elected but this is unrealistic and certainly for us impossible as some people only decide to come forward at our AGM. xD

Ofsted black hole makes me shudder... we sent ours in batches, and they claimed to have one but not the others which were all in the same envelope... always sent signed for and once had to find out who had signed and tell them where the post was!

I can just imagine trying to get committee checked before being elected.. one way of getting no committee at all I would think.. particularly with an annual change as many have..

Definitely not a viable proposition...

Ofsted have on more than two occasions received EY2 forms and other information we have sent to them in a batch, and denied receiving other forms in the same envelope. We once managed to get them to admit that they had probably shredded something when it arrived! Have never heard of them issuing notices though for slow registration of new committee members, especially as it usually takes us a few months to send paperwork in.

Sorry but this made me want to laugh out loud. Considering their incompetence the really do have a cheek threatening someone with actions & consequences!!

They manage to lose most stuff I send them, I always send items signed for now and they still deny receiving it. Even after saying to them' Not only did you sign for it but you have other letters/forms within the same envelope' they still sit there and say ' Doesn't matter, we dont have it' I keep thinking I just wont bother to send them anything else and then when they ask why I haven't just say I did. They wont know any different and will save me on at least one set of postage!!

Just had a thought.

The only time I have ever known them to 'threaten' anything is when committee have taken their time in between receiving crb forms and sending them back, A couple of times we have had parents come in whith letters saying that as they have not returned their CRB forms they will be deemed an unfit person unless they are returned within a a certain time frame. I cannot remember how long this is though.

I wonder if someone has/is confusing the two. They shouldn't as the CRB is done through the individual and is nothing to do with the setting. Before Christmas I had 4 committee members come in with their disclosures and over the Christmas holidays I had letters from Ofsted telling me they were done. However they have only told me for 2 of them, yet to receive this for the other 2.

Hi lynned55

Sorry to act dumb but what do you mean that the CRB is done through the individual and nothing to do with the setting.

All CRB'S that we wish to obtain for the Committee at our setting are checked and verified by our Supervisor before being sent off to the relevant body.

Each CRB is also only valid for the purpose for which it was applied for.

So for instance if you were a Committee member of your local pre-school but also help at the local church or brownies you would still need to have a separate one for each activity/group.

Or am i totally missing something.

But agree they do have a habit of loosing items that you have sent.

I think lynned55 means that any queries over them are sent to the individual and not the setting. We too have had parents declare unfit due to delays sending them back although it did take about a year for that to happen. Glad it's not just our setting that they deny having thing from. Could get a bit paranoid!

happened to us too, the CRB forms are sent direct to the committee member and they then have to fill it in and take it to the setting for checks before sending it off themselves... must admit once completed i used to insist on putting them in the post as I wanted to ensure they did actually get in the post, signed for at other end, not that it made much difference in that black hole they have..

I never actually officially complained about it.. thinking now perhaps I should have made an official complaint about the way things were dealt with or not dealt with...