Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Courses Out Of Work Time

Just wondering if any others get paid for courses either out of work hours and at the weekends,

we don't, i think when its a weekend and from 9-3 on 2 saturdays we should really be paid.

Just wondering how everyone else feels about this?

Hi i definetly wouldn't expect any of us to go on a course that you have been asked to attend weekend or otherwise and not to be paid.

However if these are courses that a practitioner has just decided that they fancy attending then i think that might be different, as we are a charity run pre-school so we have to justify every penny we use. :o

Ahh no as it if was something i had asked to go on obvioulsy i wouldn't mind going on it without being paid :)

But being told you have a course on this day and expected to go without pay i think is not very fair.

And its not just like for an hour or so its basically a full days work and on two different occsasions.

I didn't know whether i had a choice whether i had to go if not being paid :/

I am sure this has been discussed before and someone came up with a link saying that you do not have to work unpaid hours.. many of us do it, but it cannot be forced upon you ..been trying to find it but so far no luck.

it does have an impact on your hourly rate of pay though as these hours are included and could work out that you are not getting minimal wage by doing them,

will keep searching...

I know many of us have been doing unpaid for years and understand the reasons why we do them but think it really is time that all expenses in running a setting are accounted for.. or we will never get anyone to realise how hard it is to survive ,

We offset these courses against hours used in nursery for NVQ study : We don't stop pay when staff spend 2 - 3 hours every month with their assessor in Nursery time. During this time they are completely out of the ratios - even if they are doing an activity, so that they can go off with their assessor whenever the activity is finished. If someone is doing a Level 3 qualification this adds up to a considerable number of hours over the year so then they attend out of hours courses without pay when they are core courses (e.g safeguarding or first aid).

pw

Having seen it from both sides as now a Supervisor i know how important it is to respect staff and being paid for training which benefits the setting is only right and fair, we agree that if someone wants to do a course for their own inrterest than that is their choice , but i completely agree with what Inge says about so many hours unpaid and not accounted for in realistic running costs because we all do it because it benfits us and the children and lets face it we do this job because of the reward not the financial one

Even doing that you have to include the extra hours when working out the minimum wage and ensure they are still getting equivalent or more..

still not found the reference.. would ring ACAS to find out..

Thank you for the replies,

I understand that yes i love my job and would like to better myself for the children and all and i honestly don't mind going on these courses its just the fact from many courses i have been on and heard that all these practitioners are being paid for being there out of hours i feel abit like ahh why can't i? :o it would be useful as i am the senco, also have social services meetings and general courses to attend soo theres lots!!

sometimes it feels its only me thats actually doing the courses outside of work just gets me dowwn xD

oh dont be down jigsaw , you should get paid for courses and time for doing senco stuff - this is what annoys me regarding Ofsted and eyfs expectations is the amount that gets done unpaid just to get the job done - keep your chin up and ask for those payments

Thank you for the replies,

I understand that yes i love my job and would like to better myself for the children and all and i honestly don't mind going on these courses its just the fact from many courses i have been on and heard that all these practitioners are being paid for being there out of hours i feel abit like ahh why can't i? :o it would be useful as i am the senco, also have social services meetings and general courses to attend soo theres lots!!

sometimes it feels its only me thats actually doing the courses outside of work just gets me dowwn xD

If they will not pay, is there anyway you can negotiate time off in lieu instead?

How about going at it from a slightly different tack and actually writing down all the extra hours you do and asking them to have a look and ask if they would be willing to work so many hours without any pay?

or if they would be happy for their partners/husbands etc to work that much overtime and not get any time or money for it..

Although you do not say how it is run I am assuming , maybe wrongly, it is committee or similar and not part of a chain..

Totally agree we should be paid

However as a committee charity run setting, no we don't get paid for any courses either. Even if they are in work time we don't get paid as we have to pay for the replacement member of staff whilst you are on the course.

Added to the fact that our LEA have started to charge for courses now, there aren't any incentives to go on training unless they are mandatory.

I do still attend as many courses as I can, but although I inform the staff of them, I certainly don't insist they do them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)