Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Govt Response To The EYFS Consultation

catma

"The reforms included reduced paperwork and bureaucracy for professionals; a strong focus on the three prime areas of learning most essential for children’s healthy development and future learning; simplified assessment at age 5; and a progress check at age 2. We received over 2,300 online responses to the consultation and conducted an intensive series of meetings, workshops and events with a range of stakeholders."

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/...808%28v2%29.pdf

Not read it yet but will do in work tomorrow!!

That will keep me entertained. (Everyone else on leave!!)

Plus link for the short consultation.

"Today, we are also launching a one month consultation on proposed changes to The EYFS (Learning and Development Requirements) (Amendment) Order 2012. This consultation provides a further opportunity to comment on the Government's proposed changes to some parts of the learning and development requirements in the revised EYFS framework: the early learning goals; and the educational programmes. It is also an opportunity to comment on the statutory instrument which gives legal effect to these. You can access the consultation documents here:

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/...l=no&menu=1

Cx

Edited by catma

"Some respondents to the online consultation expressed concerns about the 1:30 ratio in Reception year. In tandem with the EYFS consultation, we looked into Reception class ratios and the role of support staff (in line with Tickell’s recommendation on this). Our work showed that the average teacher:child ratio is currently about 1:26. When support staff are included, the adult:child ratio is about 1:15. This means that Reception classes are already better staffed than the legal requirements demand. We therefore do not propose to change the existing requirement which is that there should be no more than 30 children to one teacher, but will continue to monitor adult:child ratios. In due course we will reflect on the outcome of the Nutbrown review (which is looking at the qualifications and roles of staff across the early years, including support staff in Reception classes) to consider any relevant findings."

Bah. Humbug.

Cx

I agree Catma that on paper the ratios do and are below the legal requirement overall, but consideration must be considered when looking at individual reception classes as to children with additional needs, LA and the amount of space within the classroom with 30 children.

I still feel for a minority of children arriving at school in September but only just four in the August, they are still not equipped with the skills necessary for the vigours of a school day.

I personally hate the phrase "getting the children ready for school" and feel schools should be getting ready for children so young.

Sorry little rant over. :oxD

Maybe MOST reception classes do have a TA, but in my experience if they do have one it is not all day so for a good portion of the day a reception teacher may well have 30 children.

If it isn't a legal requirement to have a support member of staff in reception then most times when money is short its a good place to cut and not worry about good practice and whats best for the children!

BIG bah humbug!!!!!!!

I'm just reading this myself and as soon as I got to this paragraph I came straight here to express my outrage. What a ridiculous thing to say! What are the poor children who are stuck in a 1:30 ratio supposed to do? Say 'oh the average is 1:15 so I must be ok?' Absolutely mind-bogglingly awful.

I think the ministers should try being the lead adult for 30x 4-5 year olds for a day and then see how much they like those ratios. And that would include:

Mananging all the learning of those 30 children, including managing learning for SEN/EAL pupils - TAs may do planning and preparation for this. It is the class teachers responsibilty under school teachers pay and conditions

Managing all the assessments - TAs may contribute but it remains the class teachers responsibilty as above. If you've ever sat with 30 assessment records or written those reports you'll know what I'm talking about!! (Mind you 52 nursery reports was a bit of a task too)

Managing all the parents that want to see you before or after school, just when you are trying to get all the above ready for the day - TAs may but ditto as above.

Oh and then have a few split class year 3's chucked in for good measure whilst sending the TAs on a first aid class for the day. And why not make it your school playground duty too, with a phase meeting at lunchtime......

I'll leave out the incontinent children with the toilets down the corridor - it's christmas after all.

Having an additonal TA is not the issue. If 4 year olds in Nursery get a guaranteed 1:13 which would reduce if additional adults were available then why is that any different in reception. If they are part of the EYFS then even out the ratios and guarantee 1:15 at all times.

If you really want children who are ready for the start of year 1 and their Primary education then don't tie one hand behind our backs.

Cx

Having an additonal TA is not the issue. If 4 year olds in Nursery get a guaranteed 1:13 which would reduce if additional adults were available then why is that any different in reception. If they are part of the EYFS then even out the ratios and guarantee 1:15 at all times.

Cx

Couldn't agree more Catma but would just like to say that many 4yr olds not in maintained nursery are ratio of 1:8. I have said for a long time that I don't understand why the 'setting' changes the ratio.

1:8 in daycare settings

1:13 maintained nurseries

1:30 reception

it's utter madness!. We have 16 maximum per session and a couple of weeks ago were struggling with staff sickness. For one day we operated with 16 3-4 year olds and 2 staff, perfectly legal but my goodness what an eye opener. I take my hat off to all reception teachers out there and hope one day the government will see sense - (well I can dream I guess!!)

... and still nothing about learning outdoors... What has happened to that one???? After all these years of setting s scrambling to find ways to develop our outdoor provision is the Government by it's omission in both the consultation and the response saying that the outdoors in no longer an issue?

Outdoor play and quite a lot else (the importance of play and child-initiated activity, broad definition of school-readiness etc) was clarified yesterday by Sarah Teather in a Nursery World article. There is also confirmation that guidance for implementing the EYFS will be provided, and discussion of the 2 year old progress check.

But if thery listened and considered what they wrote then all this "clarification" wouldn't be needed!!!

They want it in plain english so parents can understand but can't say what they mean in the first place!!!!

Cx

Im glad to see a clarification of school readiness being ready for year one. Im also pleased to see that there will be something on child development, just hope its good! I believe we have Early Education to thank for that so it should be.

Im concerned about the moving goalposts in maths, going up to 20, and including doubling and halving.

Somehow I don't think we ever were going to get any consideration to ratios in reception.

I do hope everyone also remembers the consultation on the code of practice too.

I was just thinking that we are part of the ECAT program and some of the children we pass on to school have only just mastered language. How do they expect one person to hold any type of proper conversation with 30 children to make it meaningfull. You may be qualified but that doesn't ean you sprouted 5 mouths, 5 sets of hands and a couple of pairs of eyes in the back of your head. These ministers really must be useless fathers or they were never around when their own children were young to know what a 4 yr old is like. Maybe we should coach up a few thousand to london and take a tour of the houses of parliament so they can see what they are like LOL

• 2 weeks later...
"Some respondents to the online consultation expressed concerns about the 1:30 ratio in Reception year. In tandem with the EYFS consultation, we looked into Reception class ratios and the role of support staff (in line with Tickell’s recommendation on this). Our work showed that the average teacher:child ratio is currently about 1:26. When support staff are included, the adult:child ratio is about 1:15. This means that Reception classes are already better staffed than the legal requirements demand. We therefore do not propose to change the existing requirement which is that there should be no more than 30 children to one teacher, but will continue to monitor adult:child ratios. In due course we will reflect on the outcome of the Nutbrown review (which is looking at the qualifications and roles of staff across the early years, including support staff in Reception classes) to consider any relevant findings."

Bah. Humbug.

Cx

and how long is that going to last when the budget cuts whack in and TA's etc are cut to the bone to make ends meet?

Im afraid Im rather cynical about this process having been very active in the last one. During the process formulating the previous EY format there was a question asked and 99% of the respondents replied that this particular area was wrong and needed to be ammended....the response was that the (at that time lady) minister determined that we had all misread the question and so they were going to go ahead with their objective anyways! Hence what I have no realised this process is really about which is tokenism. We are asked but they will actually do what they have had on their agenda for years and usually this has very little to do with children's needs but more to do with adult ones and most importantly economic ones! Thus this time I didnt participate because I couldnt see the point. :o

I think we can all be cynical, and I plead guilt yon that count, but I shall still have my say on this latest consultation because if I don't, I have no right at all to complain. I would still, despite my own healthy bout of cynicism, still urge everyone who cares enough to have their say, on all 3 consultations running at the moment.

I noticed this in the latest framework:

Subject to the necessary legal processes, the EYFS (Learning and Development Requirements) (Amendment) Order will come into force on 1 September 2012. We plan to make available the new EYFS (and associated guidance) from spring 2012. This will help settings and practitioners prepare for implementation from September 2012.

The EYFS sets legal requirements for all early years providers on the Early Years Register, as well as independent and maintained and non-maintained special schools with provision for children from the age of three to the end of the academic year in which they turn five.

SO what has happened to birth to five?????? I'm confused. And that doesn't happen too often!

Cx

I noticed this in the latest framework:

Subject to the necessary legal processes, the EYFS (Learning and Development Requirements) (Amendment) Order will come into force on 1 September 2012. We plan to make available the new EYFS (and associated guidance) from spring 2012. This will help settings and practitioners prepare for implementation from September 2012.

The EYFS sets legal requirements for all early years providers on the Early Years Register, as well as independent and maintained and non-maintained special schools with provision for children from the age of three to the end of the academic year in which they turn five.

SO what has happened to birth to five?????? I'm confused. And that doesn't happen too often!

Cx

Schools are exempt from being on the Early Years Register normally. So its just a badly phrased sentence I hope.

So it's saying: The EYFS applys to all providers on the Early Years register and schools which take three to five year olds.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)