Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Painting Polystyrene

Saddo that I am, I have been saving the polystyrene bases which pizzas sit on for quite some time, now have enough for a little starry activity with them.

Do you think normal liquid paint will stick to the polystyrene, maybe with some pva in it, or should I get something else, or only collage the stars with as much glittery trash as we can lay our hands on. They are quite large stars, well some of them are!

Is it one of those health and saftey myths about not using polystyrene in schools because it doesn't show up on x-rays?

That's what I thought so have never used it, but perhaps it's a myth - maybe someone could enlighten us!

I don't know whether there are any rules or not but I do know that this afternoon I have been using what appear to be sort of compressed polystyrene balls to make the heads of some nativity characters. They've been lurking in our school art cupboard for ages and I'm sure were bought officially.

Mind you, I suppose they could have been bought before any rules existed :o

As for paint - I just used ordinary ready mix paint, nothing added. It worked, a bit streaky in places and tricky to get read solid dark colours it's worked fine for what I needed. The only think is that it took ages to try because the polystyrene didn't absorb any of it.

Edited by HelenD26

Thanks guys. I'm not too concerned about H&S to be honest. The children are very sensible and won't get an opportunity to eat the polystyrene. These will be large dinnner plate sized stars which are going to be hung in the hall as decorations, they could go home, but it's not necessary really.

Hadn't thought about the drying process at all so thank you Helen. Will have to try out tomorrow. Going into work anyway to finish off painting some scenery so will give it a quick go. If it proves diff, will just go with the glue and glitteratti brigade

Have to admit, they are pretty sick of the sight of pizzas at the moment! The "idea" struck last Christmas as I watched the card stars groaning under the weight of glittery trash being glued to them, that we needed something more substantial, had light bulb moment over polystyrene pizza base and we have been eating them pizzas ever since :oxD

Popped into work this morning quickly to try out the silver paint we had (don't suppose any of the little darlings will want silver paint now anyway), it is an acrylic silver paint called Scola I've painted one star, at least it has stuck to the surface. Any other colours will need pva I think

It's not a myth about the polystyrene, however I don't think you would apply it in this case. It's more about not giving children under 5 polystyrene balls (the tiny ones) or other polystyrene packaging in case they ingest it. Some LAs actually have this in their rules or guidance for settings. I can't see these stars being a problem though, that's just about using common sense and I doubt any child's going to be trying to take a bite out of them! Also as far as I know it's usually only applied to under fives though I might be wrong there.

I think it sounds like a fab idea and I'm seriously considering starting my own collection of these!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)