Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playdough

Hello....

Just wondering how you can enhance the playdough to develop fine motor skills or exploratoy skills...

I already do the usual....add food colouring and difference flavours/ essence

But does anybody add anything else e.g. rice, sequins???

Thank you xxx

An activity that mine like which is good for fine motor is making hedgehogs/sunshines/flowers by pushing matchsticks into the dough. Anything like that.

Have you made balls and then used kitchen tongs to try to make a tower like ferrero rocher!

I sprinkle glitter on the table which the children mix in, we let the children add gems, the type you do crafting with, coloured matchsticks, if it's coming to the end of its life we let them add almost anything.

On here a couple of weeks ago someone was posting about playdough gym, I didn't read it well I'm afraid, but assume it is a series of exercises the children do with the playdough in their hands, such as twisting, pulling, pushing etc., you might be able to look that up with a search.

Hello....

Just wondering how you can enhance the playdough to develop fine motor skills or exploratoy skills...

I already do the usual....add food colouring and difference flavours/ essence

But does anybody add anything else e.g. rice, sequins???

Thank you xxx

Hi hope this helps I add glitter to my playdough the children love it and can't wait to do something with it.

Kids love glitter!

Good luck!

Diagonalleycat4

Edited by Guest

We also add scissors and plastic straws on the table too..... great for fine motor and making pretend candles for sticking in little birthday cakes.

making fruit baskets with loads of different fruit (bananas/grapes/apples/oranges...use grater to make it bobbly) great if you make you own dough in loads of colours)different textures...sawdust/oats/cornflakes! anything really. We have a lot of 'cooking' going on with ours at the moment so have added bun tins/cutters/paper cases/rolling pins ...garlic press to make decorations also chocolate boxes and inserts great for creating different shapes and decorations for the top. Printing in it with natural materials or cars/dinosaurs etc..oh the list is endless ..!

twinkl do playdough mats which I think are a great idea! The ones I saw were for Handa's surprise and have for example a zebra with no stripes and it asks for playdough stripes and an empty basket for them to add stripes...

We get the children to make their own dough as well. I made some simple recipe cards for them to follow then they take it home with an info leaflet about different types and how to use dough...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)