Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Put Up And Shut Up Planning

we are an EY setting based in a community hall where every day we have to get everything out and then put it all away again. Our local authority have a universal planning form which we have been trialing for the last year+ but quite frankly it doesnt work for us so I am reviewing it so that it meets our needs, fits with EYFS and satisfys our local ethos.....would any of you be willing to share you planning forms with me so that I can see how others are doing it and see if there are any things which I could use which might enhance our provision and at the same time not take a year and a half each week to fill out?

Ta very much mes amigos! :o

Edited by enuffsenuf

Hello, my setting is also in a village hall; and we have the same tribulations of not having toys and resources on tap as you would in a purpose built setting (how envious we are).

I've attached the planning form I've implemented in our setting. Hope it's of some use. Keep us posted on what you do.

:o

Gosh a lot of my settings would love a universal planning format xD - we do have some we share with with settings but it is entirely up to them weather they use them or not we certainly do not expect them to ' put up and shut up'!!!!!!! :o

But what is 'put up and shut up' planning?

I think they mean they are a 'put up' (set out) and 'shut up'(pack away) setting - although most of us call it a packaway setting. At least that's what I thought was meant - did take me a while to work it out though!

I think they mean they are a 'put up' (set out) and 'shut up'(pack away) setting - although most of us call it a packaway setting. At least that's what I thought was meant - did take me a while to work it out though!

oow .......... I like that terminology!!!! :oxD:(

Yes it is one where every single item has to be got out each morning and then packed away at the end of each session...we're not even allowed to leave a poster up....apparantly it distracts the local counsellors.

Weekly_Planning_Sheet_2page.doc

Sorry, didn't attach it properly. Still getting used to this :o

Glad Im not the only novice on here! Thank you thats interesting its lengthways on which gives more room. But its the second sheet that's really usefull because this is what we are a really lacking. We have a tiny box at the bottom of our one sheet which isnt big enough to put anything usefull in. Ive attached what we use at the mo....which is very squashed and not big enough to show all we need.

plansheet_example.doc

Glad Im not the only novice on here! Thank you thats interesting its lengthways on which gives more room. But its the second sheet that's really usefull because this is what we are a really lacking. We have a tiny box at the bottom of our one sheet which isnt big enough to put anything usefull in. Ive attached what we use at the mo....which is very squashed and not big enough to show all we need.

I see what you mean on limited room,

It took a while for the practitioners to get used to using the 2nd sheet, but after a lot of nagging (from me) they've started using it really positively, especially the 'observations' box - making them really think about what they need to be observing and look out for, because the majority of their observations where merely spontaneous 'post-it' observations.

I encourage the practitioners to simply stick post-its onto parts of the planning too . I love to see 'messy' planning; shows thought.

We use these..

Short term planshort_term_plan.docx

The short term plan is based on interests/ observations/ children's requests/ and sometimes a loose theme/ special events/festivals etc

which we put together from the look, listen and note from the previous week which takes in the interests/ observations/ children's requests....

Look listen and note Look_listen_and_note.docx

Rachel

:o Thanks for showing me us that. Its so interesting to see how other people approach things and work. Its one of the things Ive missed doing my degree long distance..when I used to go to FE college we all used to show each other how we worked etc. and built up a knowledge base of practice which somehow doesnt materialise in quite the same way on a correspondence course.

We use these..

Short term planshort_term_plan.docx

The short term plan is based on interests/ observations/ children's requests/ and sometimes a loose theme/ special events/festivals etc

which we put together from the look, listen and note from the previous week which takes in the interests/ observations/ children's requests....

Look listen and note Look_listen_and_note.docx

Rachel

Hi Rachel

Hope u dont mind me asking a couple of q's

So do you link a learning obj to everything you put out? What if children get other things out in the area for example you put dinosaurs in tuf spot in small world and they get the train set out - do you often find the same things out as you intended- our children very rarely stick to what we have put out for them!! Only we were told to stop putting a learning obj against resources as the children can learn so much out of one resource? oh its mind boggling isnt it!

Do you have any other planning thats runs along side this ie group times or activities.

Hi sharonash,

We are a packaway setting so tend to have to get out on a Friday from our shed what we need for the following week (things such as small world sets, large items etc) and store in our inside cupboards. So for instance if we got out the train set we wouldn't also get out the cars and garage but we do have other small world toys on offer, such as a box of cars or dinosaurs.

The things we generally put out are things that the children have asked for or to do with interests and no we don't have a learning objective for everything/every area but we try to find something that the child might learn from the activity. Or by using their next steps something that we might try to encourage.

We find that some learning objectives can be the same irrespective of what comes out and more often than not the learning objective is personal to a child or group of children. (e.g. sharing and taking turns with small world items)

For instance this half term we are loosely looking at nursery rhymes, this week it's Mary Mary quite contrary, and Ring a ring of roses (due to a group of children singing the latter song and one child wanting to make paper flowers last week).

So we have been making paper flowers with learning objectives (for different children) being hand eye coordination, using one handed tools (scissors), with increasing control, and differentiating colours. We also looked at and read the nursery rhyme and have used shells, silver foil to make bells and paper dolls on a display board. (We are lucky enough to be able to keep those on show)

We've also had the cars and garage out with objectives being sharing and being aware of others personal space.

We've had the slide out with objectives being taking turns and using equipment safely.

We've used the computer with Gigglebies Garden Party with Learning Objs being hand/eye coordination, using a mouse with age appropriate software, completing a program (for a number of different children).

And then we always have around the room our continuous provision sheets which show other ares of learning and prompt all of us with language, questions etc that we can use to aid and extend learning through play.

Also if we feel a child has got something completely different out of the activity than we had for the learning objective then we would add that as a note to the Look listen and note form or even add a post it to it so that can then go into their Learning Journey.

I hope that's explained everything you wanted to know if not feel free to ask again and yes mind boggling is true!

Do you ever feel you are doing it right? I just know that this has worked for us for the past year so we keep on going!

Rachel

WEEKLY_PLANNING.doc

Hopefully I've attached an old planning doc! ( the new one doesn't have names linked to learning intentions as we are still looking at next steps for our current children.)

We are not a pack away every day, but do pack away most weekends.

Children are also able to freely access other resources, and free flow to a reasonable sized garden.

We do tend to keep learning areas the same for at least a week... to enable children to build on their play and learning. They don't get bored!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)