Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! New To This And Need Advice!

Hi all, I'm currently going through the (long!) process of getting registered as a childminder and I'm finding all the paperwork soooo confusing! :o

What do I need to know for the first Ofsted Registration visit?

Do I need policies written up? and if so, which ones?

And the legal requirements? What are they? I'm sure I'm looking at them but the EYFS pack is so big my eyes have gone blurry! xD

Any help welcome and thank you in advance.

First things first: welcome to the Forum Naomi and congratulations on making your first post.

I'm not a childminder, but the legal requirements in terms of what records/policies childminders need to keep it is all there in the welfare requirements. I'd just read through it all and highlight the bits you need to worry about!

Are you a member of the NCMA? I'm sure they offer lots of support to new childminders, although I have to say our childminder members are very knowledgeable, very experienced and always happy to give the benefit of their wit and wisdom. They'll be long very soon with encouraging words, I'm sure!

Ta-da! your wish has been granted.

I've been a registered childminder for 7 years now and i mentor new childminders. if you are an NCMA member you can access, download and edit all the essential policies you will need. they are not required to be written but I would recommend it. this way, you can show Mrs O your policies folder and let her find what she wants there and it saves her asking you loads of awkward questions. risk assess your indoor and outdoor environment and have these available for her. leave your EYFS pack lying around so she knows you have it, even if you're not familiar with it yet (don't get too familiar BTW as it's changing next year lol). have a think about how you're going to record children's learning journeys and their next steps. there are some good templates on your EYFS pack disc. you can get loads of advice from www.childmindinghelp.co.uk - be warned, the forum is addictive

thank you for all your help and also thank you for the warm welcome. its lovely to know you can come on here and meet some supportive people.

thank you childmindermam, i'll take your advice and have a look at what the ncma website says. i'm not a member yet, do you become one when you take out your insurance with them or is it done separately?

xxx

• 3 weeks later...
thank you for all your help and also thank you for the warm welcome. its lovely to know you can come on here and meet some supportive people.

thank you childmindermam, i'll take your advice and have a look at what the ncma website says. i'm not a member yet, do you become one when you take out your insurance with them or is it done separately?

xxx

Hi Naomi welcome to the site I have been a childminder for 19 yr now and was graded OUTSTANDING across all areas in my last inspection. The list of policies should be under the welfare requirements in your EYFS pack, however if you want to email me kwarriner123@hotmail.com i will be happy to help you further. good luck x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)