Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help!

i know it sounds daft but what does a court order look like? in all my years at preschool i have never seen one!

we have a child with us who mum has always said dad is in no uncertain terms allowed to have anything to do with us, today this man saying he's dad produces a piece of paper saying its a court order stating his rights.

i am a little unsure i have taken a copy but it was a little vague. mum's gone mad saying it isnt one

I don't think a court order by itself would suffice here shazzam. After all, not only do you know if it's a real court order, you don't actually know whether the man showing it to you is really the child's father do you? I guess you have records of agreed people who are allowed to collect your children - eg grandparents etc? Especially in this sort of dispute you'd need to have a written agreement pre-agreed in this sort of instance?

I don't think a court order by itself would suffice here shazzam. After all, not only do you know if it's a real court order, you don't actually know whether the man showing it to you is really the child's father do you? I guess you have records of agreed people who are allowed to collect your children - eg grandparents etc? Especially in this sort of dispute you'd need to have a written agreement pre-agreed in this sort of instance?

absolutley only persons named on registration are allowed to collect,

i know he is father, mum not disputing that. he is asking for newsletters etc to be kept ip to date on progress etc. the dispute is about the order, having never seen one before i dont know what i am looking for. i think i will ring the court directly though i'm not sure if they will discuss cases.

Ask for a solicitors letter or better still ask for the solicitors phone number so you can check yourself. Mom might, or might not be telling the truth. Such a difficult one isnt it?

It's a while ago, but I had a similar case and a solicitor's letter accompanied the fairly flimsy, non-descript piece of paper. Luckily, the solicitor is a near neighbour and so I managed to get rid of dad after copying the paper (son wasn't actually in that day) and took copy round to solicitor for verification. Turned out that although he had permission to see son, it had to be with Mum there so wasn't allowed to collect on his own.

If he's only asking for newsletters and updates on his child's progress, is there any reason that he can't have that?? Unless the man is convicted of something terrible, it seems a shame not to give him it......................and actually, isn't he entitled to it??

Its tricky isnt it? There are different types of order regarding children, so it could be about contact or it could be about parental responsibility. My brother had the latter and even then the school refused to share any info with him, (mum was on the governing body) but he won eventually, he was entitled and the school had to share the information he asked for.

Whether or not mum is happy or agrees, if it's a parental responsibility order and its genuine, then he is entitled to information, to attendance at events and copies of reports etc.

If its about contact then that is a different issue and his rights are different.

The court probably wont talk to you, but if you explain to dad, he should be willing to put you into contact with his solicitor and you cen check that way.

Hope it doesn't cause any unpleasantness, these things can be very nasty at times, but more often than not are sorted out amicably.

It's very difficult isn't it? If the child's parents are married then the both have equal parental responsibility and he wouldn't necessarily have an order stating this or am I wrong here. Actually I think I am aren't I didn't the law change sometime ago. Ignore me, it's Friday night I am very tired and I'm spouting rubbish!!

Although I will say that a few years ago I was talking to our local reception teacher (known her for years as our own children went all through school together) and I mentioned something about my twin niece and nephew who were in her class and who's parents , I cant remember what or how the conversation went but it turned out that my SIL had told the school that my brother wasn't allowed to see the children. I was gob-smacked, totally untrue but just shows how we can so easily get stuck in the middle

It's very difficult isn't it? If the child's parents are married then the both have equal parental responsibility and he wouldn't necessarily have an order stating this or am I wrong here.

Yes that's correct, and of course the rules are different in different parts of the UK.